Chapter 45. Fresh Start

I stood outside and looked up at the Medieval building before me. My heart was racing not because I was nervous but that I was so excited to have an interview. They needed a replacement for the archiving department, and I was more than willing to help plus, I loved books a bit more than I loved people.

But first, I needed to pass the interview...good Lord help me.

"Right this way," Jane said to me. She was the receptionist and a bit older than I was from the way she carried herself with utmost maturity.

Not that I was immature or anything, but I guess you kind of get what I mean?

"Matt will be with you in a moment," she said and left me sitting in what I guessed was his office.

It smelled so much of old books, leather, and a bit of cinnamon tea. On his desk, was John Green's Turtles all the way down. It was good to see that he was up to date with the latest books despite the ancientness of his surroundings. I knew we would get along well.

"Sorry I took so long," came a voice from the doorway. I quickly stood up and turned around. "You must be Donna. I'm Matt." He said stretching out his hand for a shake.

"Nice to meet you," I replied shaking his hand. They were leathery and soft.

"Please, take a seat," He said and picked up a file. "Your resume is impressive. I was surprised when you applied."

"Well, I thought I'd give myself some self-love and delve into what I actually like, for a change," I replied.

"Then we are happy to have you," he said smiling. "Could you start tomorrow?"

"Today would be fine too," I said laughing lightly. "But, I'll come in first thing tomorrow morning."

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then," he said getting up. "Thank you for coming in."

"The pleasure is all mine," I replied and walked out.

My heart was a flutter. Matt. I swear I'd seen him somewhere. But where? Think Donna. Think!