Chapter 15. Linette

"How is he?" I asked Adrian once he left the room.

"He has no fever and he's calm," he replied yawning. "Come, I'll show you his meds."

We had gone through so many bottles and I wondered how Adrian managed. I was a bit worried that I would make a mistake and hoped that Luke wouldn't get any attacks.

"It's a lot, I know," He said sighing. "You may forget all those but this," He added showing me a bottle of pills, "Never forget these. They help him calm down."

"Ok. I think I got this," I said.

"You can always change your mind," he said eyeing me.

"Yeah, I guess I can."

"Well, I will head to bed and feel free to help yourself to anything."

"Which room are you sleeping in?" I asked, "Just in case he wakes up, that is."

"It's right next to his," Adrian replied.

"Oh, ok then. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Donna."

Luke's room had a gray couch with pillows, and a blanket and was right by the window facing his bed. I put on my hoodie and sat on the couch with my latest book, Orphan X in hand. On his nightstand, there was a picture of Linette and one of the whole family. 

I slipped off the couch and picked up the picture of Linette. I could tell that Adrian had her eyes and smile. The family photo was older as Adrian looked very young in it, around 15 or so.

"Beautiful, isn't she?" Luke said hoarsely startling me. I carefully put the picture down and reached for his glass of water.

"Here's some water."

"I'm guessing Adrian put you up to this?" He asked licking his lips.

"Uh, no. I came on my own accord."

"Ah, and why is that?"

"It's a long story really," I said looking away shyly.

"I love stories. Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine," Luke said smiling faintly.