Chapter 14. Rule no. 1

I didn't know what to do about Derek's advice. I knew he was right, I needed to do something about it. Then again, I knew that I was too chicken to go ahead with it. Telling Ana about it would lead to a whole other level of drama so, I needed to play by my rules.

Derek and I had exchanged numbers that evening, and I saw how Adrian looked at us throughout the evening. I could tell he was jealous, but Derek and I knew it was better this way. Adrian needed to leave his comfort zone and man up, as they call it.

For starters, I needed to know more about Adrian and this included the issues and secrets of his family. I know, I sound like a stalker but hey, what else can a girl do to get the attention and affection she wants to reciprocate?

"Here you go ma'am and have a lovely evening," I say handing her the latte I'd just prepared.

"You too," she replies and walks into the night.

Adrian is in the office and I am the one closing for the night. Ana, of course, is out with Suho and they are attending one of those fundraiser dinners for La Kosa. We close in 45 minutes, so I start cleaning up.

"You may leave once you're done," Adrian says walking into the room.

"Well, it's just 20 minutes and that won't change much," I reply stacking the remaining glasses. He pours himself some expresso and sits at the coffee bar facing me. "Won't that keep you awake?"

"Yeah, that's the whole point actually," he replies rubbing his eyes.

"More projects to work on?"

"No, dad has not been feeling well. He gets panic attacks more often." He replies looking at me.

"Oh," I said taking the cashier's seat and facing him.

"I could come by and watch over him as you sleep at least. It's no big deal actually since I'm off tomorrow."

"I can't do that to you. What if he gets one of those attacks and you have no idea what to do?"

"Then I simply wake you up or give him his meds," I reply confidently.

"Donna, why are you doing this?"

"You know why," I reply in a whisper.

We both know why and none of us is ready to admit it. Well, let's see how this plays out then.