Chapter 13. Dinner

Adrian had invited us to his father's 50th birthday party, and Ana was bringing Suho as her plus one. I couldn't agree more. It turned out that he had been to Cafe Talk but mostly on the weekends when we were off. I attended the opening at La Kosa with Ana, and it was the first-time art made sense to me (no offence meant to any artists). They seemed more like best friends to me, and I was getting a bit jealous yet excited at the same time.

"So, what's up with you and Adrian?" Ana asked glancing at me. We were in the bus and Suho was beside her talking to someone on the phone.

"Nothing is up, that's what," I replied.

"Did you guys fight or...?"

"I honestly don't want to talk about it, not in the bus anyway."

We stopped a block away on Alme's St. and walked for about five minutes. Adrian and his father lived in a bungalow that was too big for two people. Luke had refused to sell the house when Linette; his wife, passed away but I am not about to dwell on that right now.

"Donna, Ana," Luke said kissing us on the cheek lightly as he opened the door. "And I'm guessing you're Suho."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Suho said shaking his hand. "And happy birthday."

A couple of Adrian's relatives were there too, and Monique, Luke's sister, prepared dinner. She'd prepared roast beef, and mashed potatoes, sweet corn, and we had plenty of sparkly drinks going around. I was seated between Ana and Derek; Adrian's cousin.

"Adrian has told me quite a lot about you," Derek said right before dessert. He was like Adrian in so many ways but more social. By that I mean, he held the conversation the whole time and I was glad I didn't have to say much.

"And what did he say?" I asked looking at him. He had the most piercing hazel eyes.

"You two should stop wasting time, life's too short to remain cooped up." He replied.

"He said that?"

"Donna, take my advice and go for it."

I smiled briefly and looked in Adrian's direction. He was bringing in the cake. What am I so afraid of?