Chapter 20. The Odds

"What are the chances that he likes you back?"

"I don't want to have this discussion with you, Jared. It's just weird." I replied looking away.

We're walking back to my apartment after my 9-hour shift at the cafe. Jared is finally applying for College and has chosen a couple of them in the East and I am playing host for the next week or so. The incident with Adrian is still fresh and playing at the back of my mind.

"Donna, come on. I'm 19."

"My point exactly," I shot back. For a 19-year-old, he's quite tall and just a bit puffed up. I'm the shortest in my family and took after my mother in that.

"How long have you liked him?" he asks hopefully

"A while," I reply.

"Well, we're in the 21st century. If he does not make a move, do it." He says confidently.

"Yeah..."

"I mean, the odds are, he'll either take the bait or keep chickening out for the rest of his life. What's his problem anyway?" he asks.

That's the same question that keeps running through my mind. What's up with Adrian? Doesn't he like me?

"I honestly have no idea," I reply sighing.

"If I were you, I'd have walked away years ago," Jared said exasperatedly. "But, hang in there. He'll come around." Or someone else will.

Ana meets us at the door and throws her arms around Jared. "Hey Jer," she says kissing him on the cheek. "Damn, you're taller than last time!" Suho is standing beside her all tense and avoids meeting my eye.

Ok, what's going on?