Chapter 3. Keeping Promises

I knew that it would be tougher for me to socialize. I am not awkward whatsoever it's just that, I tend to categorize people, and this leads to me overthinking certain situations. Sometimes I really think I need to simply chill and just live.

We opened the cafe at 9 am and in a few minutes, people were strolling in. I served a couple of coffees, smoothies and muffins before the traffic slowed down.

"Do you think he'll come today?" Ana asked.

"Who?"

"You know..."

"Oh, I honestly have no idea." I replied eyeing her, "Why?"

"Ah, nothing really." She said and looked away.

"Omg! Are you going to ask him out?" I shrieked with excitement.

"Shhhh."

"Yes! I told you he was your type!" I said more quietly.

"I don't know," She started, "You think he'll notice me?"

"Hahahaha you're joking right?" I said taken aback.

"I'm actually freaking out," Ana started, "Remember what happened with Ian?"

"Ana, we both know Ian was a plain douche bag," I said blatantly and quickly smiled as a customer had just walked in.

"Good morning," she said. "I'd like an expresso and two croissants to go please."

"That will be 7.00$," Ana said as I prepared the order.

"Have a nice day," I said handing her the order.

"You too." She replied smiling and walked out.

"Ian is so last year, move on. Focus on-" my last words got caught in my throat as he'd just walked in. I moved away from the counter and watched from the corner of my eye, perking my ears.

"Morning," Ana said shakily but smiling.

"Morning Ana," He said in his soft tenor. "The usual please, take away."

"Of course." She turned to me and I quickly prepared his black coffee, blueberry muffin and slices of cheese with our signature crackers. I could barely hear what was going on with blood rushing through my ears. I was so tense and wondered how Ana was doing. I packed his order and handed it to Ana.

"Here you go," she said.

"I'm Jake, by the way," he said. 

"Have a nice day Ana. You too, Donna," he added, glancing my way.

"You too," Ana said flushing as he turned and left.