10: NEVER CHANGED

Salem never argues or fights with his father. Ever. They have always gotten along really well, the only tension in their family coming from Amina's... episodes. Sure, they get in small arguments every once in a while, but nothing that really affects much. Never any sort of breach in trust.

Salem is sitting in the parking lot of the police department. He and Zona made their little plan yesterday, but Salem wishes they would have put more detail into it. He picked his father up some Taco Bell, and he needs to get in there before it gets cold.

He's so nervous, though. He doesn't want to do this but he knows it'll drive him crazy if he doesn't.

With that thought in mind, Salem finally exits his vehicle. He says hi to the front desk lady, as he's slowly gotten to know this new staff. He's glad that he already knew a few of the officers that work here, or Jack's promotion would have been a shitty adjustment. He doesn't know most of the receptionists or the 911 dispatchers, as well as the janitorial staff. Everybody knows him, though, which is why he doesn't get questioned the entire way there.

Salem is pretty sure his father isn't doing anything, so he only knocks once before entering the office. Jack doesn't even look up from his computer, clearly busy with whatever he's doing.

Salem sits down in the chair beside the desk and sets the food on top, seeing his father finally glance at him from the corner of his eye.

"How was school?"

"Good," Salem replies absentmindedly, rooting through the bag for his food. He pauses at his father's next words.

"I've got a lot I'm dealing with, so I won't be able to talk much today." He notifies Salem. Salem frowns, wondering what he could be up to. Obviously being the Chief is a demanding job, but Salem is still curious.

"What's going on?"

Jack doesn't answer Salem at first, too busy typing something. Probably an email, if the small amount of screen Salem can see is anything to go by. Salem finally finds his taco and pulls it out of the bag, setting it on the desk.

"I have an officer in the hospital." He says after a minute, and Salem's eyes widen in alarm. An officer in the hospital? That's serious. Salem immediately wants all the details.

"What? What happened?"

Jack doesn't seem to want to answer him, and Salem gets the sense that it's something he either shouldn't talk about or just doesn't want to, possibly for emotional reasons. Still, he eventually replies.

"They got caught in the crossfire of a shooting." Jack finally says, and Salem feels sad. He wants more detail, wants to know if this person will be okay. He wants to know who it is, if they're stable, if they'll still be able to work. He doesn't ask any of that, because Jack seems exhausted. It really seems like this is the last thing he wants to talk about. So, he doesn't push.

This job has already taken enough of a toll on Jack, Salem doesn't want to risk making it worse.

Salem eats in silence for a while, unsure how he would break it. His father is clearly not in a great mood, so he's being careful. A few minutes go by before Jack rolls back in his chair, turning and getting to a standing position. Salem watches him, wondering what's going on.

"I'll be back." He says, before exiting the room.

Salem's eyebrows raise, because he was not expecting an opportunity to present itself so early. He thought he'd have more time to plan, to think about this. He watches his father exit the room, leaving the door ajar.

Oh shit. Okay. Salem immediately begins sweating, heart beating faster. There are so many uncertainties here. How long will Jack be gone? What is he even doing? How much time does Salem have to do this?

STALEMATE [MAFIA] [MXM] ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें