27: THE DEVICE

Remi stays true to his word, giving the device to Atlas, who passes it on to Salem the next day. Salem doesn't really want to plan this at work, so he waits for he and Donovan's next day off, which takes a few days. Then, they meet at a diner.

"Wait, let me get this straight," Donovan says, a frown on his face. Salem just explained the entire situation to him, how they need to find a way to keep that thing plugged into Catrine's computer overnight without her finding out. "You plug it in, and it steals everything from her computer?"

Salem nods. "It downloads everything and wipes it."

Donny frowns, appearing to be trying to figure out how that's possible. Yeah, Salem's never heard of anything like it. He's pretty sure it was made by Remi, or at least a member of the Di Angelo family. Most likely Luca, he seems to be the smarter one. The device itself has a little skull symbol on it, which is the Di Angelo brand.

"How does that even work?"

Salem simply shrugs. "I don't know, but it needs a lot of time. We have to leave it plugged in overnight, which is the part I'm stuck on."

Salem's expecting for Donny to go quiet again, for him to have another several minute long contemplating session. That's what he usually does when he and Salem talk about stuff like this. However, instead, he immediately has a solution to the problem.

"Oh, I could do that."

Salem frowns, not expecting this. Why is he not only acting like that should be obvious, but also like it'll be easy? "What? How?"

"I always get there before her," Donny says, which Salem never really thought about. Usually Salem is either barely on time or late, but he can't remember a single time he went into work and Donny wasn't already there. So, basically, he could retrieve it in the morning. Salem would just have to find a way to plug it in in the first place. "And it's easy to find reasons to stay late. Maybe I'll actually put effort into my reports for once."

Oh. Okay. So Salem won't even need to plug it in. Donny can just fucking handle everything apparently. He is the more trustworthy one of the two, so that's probably for the best, anyway.

"Oh." Salem says. "Well, alright."

"One thing, though." Donny says. Salem just nods, unable to come up with a single condition he wouldn't abide by. "I absolutely can't get fired."

Okay, Salem wasn't really expecting that. Donny always seemed so easygoing about everything, but he does have a family to provide for. It makes sense, especially since Salem doesn't really know his wife's working situation. He thinks he can make that work, especially since he'd feel really bad if he wound up being the reason for Donny's termination.

"Got it." Salem nods. In that case, he should probably do the more risky part of this plan. "I'll try to get her keys."

Donny nods. "I think Ellis probably has one, his keychain has so much shit on it. He probably has a key to the fucking city, Jesus."

Salem smiles, giving him a nod. Still, getting this key will not be an easy task. "Would you still be able to distract him for me, though?"

Honestly, that part is half because Salem just does not want to talk to that fucking guy again. He doesn't even want to see him, the thought causes a sinking feeling in his stomach.

"Sure," Donny replies, shrugging.

Alright, so they have that figured out. From there, Salem can only assume he will go through everything to find something incriminating, and submit it to some local media stations.

Sounds easy enough. Hopefully it goes as smoothly in practice as it did in planning.

-

Donny is very good with distractions, something made apparent when Salem goes into work, and finds Street Crimes free of Jordan. He has a text from Donovan saying he won't have much time, that he will distract Jordan as long as he can since they're at brunch together. However, according to the message Jordan eats 'unnecessarily fast' and Donny is unsure how long he can hold him off.