11: CONFUSING

Salem can't stop shaking.

He hasn't left his room since Wednesday, when he eavesdropped on a conversation he was clearly not meant to hear for a long time. It's been three days, and Salem has hardly done anything. He has barely eaten, or left his bed generally. He's had, like, eight showers—futile attempts to clear his head—and he hasn't taken his medicine at all.

A lot of things are beginning to make sense, though. The secrecy of Jack and Atlas are the main things. Jack most likely didn't tell him out of concern for his mental health and safety. Atlas probably didn't tell him because of who their parents are.

Still, Salem can't help the feeling of betrayal. He feels as though, at the very least, they should have come clean about it when the two broke up. Salem deserved to know anyway, but that knowledge would have given him a lot of peace of mind.

Well, not so much peace, as hope. It's bad to think this way, and Salem knows it, but he's starting to question Atlas' motives behind the break up.

Obviously Atlas being a criminal, generally, was strenuous on their relationship. However, it wasn't enough for them to completely break things off. Atlas coming from the most notorious crime family in the area? The one Jack has spent countless hours trying to get off the streets for good?

That should've been a dealbreaker from the start, if Salem's being honest. As soon as Atlas met Salem's father, he shouldn't have pursued the relationship any further. He knew the consequences, the risks he was taking. He knew that it would never fucking work out.

Salem's father is the Chief, though he was a Captain while they were together. Atlas' entire family—Salem is going to assume he comes from the main, trouble causing part of the family—is essentially the mastermind behind half the serious crime in the city. The city that Jack swore to protect. So, that means that Atlas' father is...

Salem knew one of the kids was near his age. It's all adding up now. The bank, the tattoos, everything. So why the fuck did Atlas even entertain a relationship with him after he found this out? Why would he date Salem for nearly two years, why would he let Salem fall completely and hopelessly fucking in love with him, if he knew they were doomed from the start?

Salem takes a deep, shaky breath. It's now Saturday night, and he's sitting on his bed. He's shaking, and he's angry, and he's hurt, and he doesn't know what to do. When he doesn't take his medicine, his emotions completely consume him. Honestly, they do anyway, but his medicine normally helps with the intensity.

Salem hasn't been remembering to take his medicine. He's not thinking logically, he's operating purely on emotion, and he blames this solely for his next actions.

Salem has stated before that he knows Atlas' schedule. He wishes he didn't, wishes that guy didn't take up such a massive space in his mind to begin with. Although, it's been proving useful as of late.

Saturday evenings are when Atlas fights.

He never shared much information with Salem about it, but Salem knows the venue. Salem remembers the exact building, though for a while Atlas only told him the general area. He made Atlas tell him the exact location one night, when Salem was freaking out about him disappearing for the umpteenth time. Once Salem brought out cheating accusations, Atlas came clean pretty quick.

Salem has only been there one time, when Atlas was hurt and needed a ride home. Salem doesn't know why his family couldn't help, but he didn't ask questions at the time. He just wanted to make sure Atlas was safe.

It's ten o'clock at night when Salem leaves his house. He can hardly focus on anything, including his driving, as he travels to Atlas' current location. Salem can't remember the last time he was this emotional, due to the fact that he really tries to take his medicine regularly. Not even for himself, mostly so everyone around him doesn't have to deal with his bullshit.