twenty-four: the prophecy of the stars

~•♡•~

her ghost to come forth,
a choice made; evening embers
or promise of peace?

of course my own personal prophecy would be delivered in a haiku.

this was the only thought i had when i woke up coughing, my head clunking into leo's. i heard a collective gasp around me. i couldn't open my eyes yet- someone had pulled my face into warm cloth- but i had an idea of what was going on.

piper was next to me, her cold fingers around mine. jason was behind me, my head once on his muscular torso. hera was somewhere off to the left, and leo was holding me tightly into his chest and...

crying?

"she's alive!" piper cried.

"impossible!" hera snapped. "no mortal has ever-"

leo finally pulled away, and i was finally able to open my eyes. for a moment, all i saw was a blinding gold, but it faded as soon as it came. around me, i smelled something burning and nectar.

i looked around. the entire battlefield had been thawed when hera went whammo. i gulped, my throat dry and scratchy as sandpaper, but i didn't mind. leo brushed my sweaty, matted hair from my eyes, and i finally looked at him.

his eyes were bloodshot. tears streaked down, lining clean marks on his otherwise muddy face. his lips trembled as they curved into a sort of smile, his rustic eyes boring into mine.

"what- huh?" i gulped as my body felt weak.

"impossible!" hera repeated.

"you s-said that." i snapped, followed by a groan of pain. piper hugged me, followed by jason, and i grumbled.

"air?"

they pulled away.

"sorry." piper smiled as she wiped her eyes. thalia ran over to me and stared down at me.

"how do you feel?" she asked.

"burnt." i said, my voice cracking. "hot. dry mouth. and... and..."

"you saw a god's true form." jason finished for me.

"that was hera." thalia grumbled. "her majesty, the loose cannon."

"that's it, thalia grace. i will turn you into an aardvark, so help me-"

"stop it, you two." piper said. miraculously, both shut up.

"no, not that." i shook my head as piper helped me to my feet. "i heard a voice."

"that was just leo." jason said as piper gave me the last of the nectar. "he was all-"

"dude." leo groaned as he stepped away.

"no." i shook my head. "it was my mom."

"selene?" hera prodded.

"no, i mean that other birthgiver in texas." i rolled my eyes at hera and she turned purple. "she... she told me a prophecy."