sixty-six: this is SHIT, that is SHIT, everything is SHIT

ANNABETH

~•♡•~

annabeth had seen some strange things before, but she had never seen it rain cars.

the roof of the cavern collapsed, with golden rays of sickly sweet sunshine blinding her after hours trapped in shadows. she got the briefest glimpse of the argo II hovering above. it must have used its ballistae to blast a hole straight through the ground.

chunks of asphalt as big as garage doors tumbled down, along with six or seven italian cars. one would've crushed the athena parthenos, but the statue's glowing aura acted as a force field, and the car bounced off. unfortunately, it bounced towards annabeth.

she jumped to one side, twisting her bad foot. a wave of agony almost made her pass out, but she flipped onto her back in time to see a bright red fiat 500 slam into arachne's silk trap, punching through the cavern floor and disappearing with the chinese spidercuffs.

as arachne fell- still trapped in the spidercuffs- she screamed like a freight train on a collision course, but her wailing rapidly faded. all around annabeth, more chunks of debris slammed through the floor, riddling it with holes.

annabeth looked to the side, at one of the tapestries that had caught her eye earlier. just beyond the one of her and percy sharing the underwater kiss after the last titan war she had seen one that was entirely unique- four stories enveloped in one, all of them enveloped in darkness. in the top right corner, a girl stood with a long staff with a crescent-shaped blade on top, and silver armor, with an arrow piercing her neck.

the next girl, located in the top left, stood with a sword and shield, a bullet piercing her skull. she wore what annabeth thought was 17th century russian peasant clothing.

the next girl was in the bottom right. her skin was dark, almost grey, with a skin condition that caused white patches all over her. her head was shaved and she wore african tribal wear, and stood with two silver spears falling from her grasp as a knife went through her heart.

in the middle of the tapestry was the moon, shining silver rays onto each girl.

the last one had sent chills through annabeth. she knew from a glance that it was aruna- her cloak was silver, and flaming as she fell through the sky.

hers was the only one in the daytime.

annabeth wanted to take it with her. part of her wanted to study it, to discover the stories being told, to possibly prevent aruna's death. but another part of her wanted to burn it, and never tell aruna a single thing.

the athena parthenos remained undamaged, though the marble under its pedestal was a starburst of fractures. annabeth was covered in cobwebs. she trailed strands of leftover spider silk from her arms and legs like the strings of a marionette, but somehow, amazingly, none of the debris had hit her. she wanted to believe that the statue had been protecting her, though she suspected it may have been nothing but luck.

the army of spiders had disappeared. either they had fled back into the darkness, or they followed their mother into the abyss. as daylight flooded the chasm, arachne's tapestries along the walls crumbled to dust, which annabeth could hardly bear to watch- especially the one of selene's daughters, and of her and percy.

but none of that mattered when she heard percy's voice from above: "annabeth!"

"here!" she sobbed.