fifty-five: dolphins and exposure- oops!

ARUNA

~•♡•~

leo erupted at the top of the ship as soon as he heard commotion on the island. he wiped his lips as he ran for the helm. he had just managed to unanchor the ship when piper did what seemed to be a literal ham-blast at hercules.

"i thought she's a diplomat!" aruna yelled as she ran up, her lips swollen and red. "what happened?!"

jason flew onto the ship as leo got it aloft. piper landed on top of aruna, eliciting a yelp from the girl as she crashed down.

"ow!"

"thanks for breaking my fall!" piper said breathlessly. she had some sort of horn in her hand, and ran to the edge of the ship. jason grunted with effort as he summoned a huge gust of wind to help lift the ship, and percy crashed a ten-foot wall of seawater at hercules, which seemed to be filled with pineapples. soon enough, everyone was back in the air, and piper recounted the story of how hercules made them steal a horn from a river god- which became the cornucopia- and give it to him, except piper almost drowned to death and then said some mean things to hercules.

"interesting." aruna nodded as she pulled out a snickers bar. she walked over to leo and gave half to him, a meaningful gesture. he happily took it and ate the entire half in one bite. "did he say anything helpful?"

"that monsters are going to totally fuck us." piper nodded. "like... like a royally harsh ass-fuck kind of fuck."

"good to know." aruna sighed. "and, i'm assuming he did not tell us what to be careful of?"

"he says you should stay away from ice."

"oh! cryptic! i like it!" leo commented as he chewed. piper walked up to aruna, who was holding out her hand. with a small smile, piper used to cornucopia to dump a papaya into aruna's hand, who gladly started to eat it.

"so, i guess we should start taking shifts." jason said as he walked forward, also holding out his hand. piper gave him a single raspberry, which jason didn't seem to appreciate. "maybe split us up into thirds; three on watch at a time, and the other six asleep."

"i can take multiple watches." aruna offered with a nod. "already, i don't sleep a lot. and i have night vision, and i can see pretty far. i'm a good watchman."

"you'll just overwork yourself like you always do." leo snorted as he remembered to switch from sonar to radar.

"what, like you think we don't know how you spend every waking minute working on the ship?"

"repairing the vital assets is different than needlessly fighting monsters."

"not when there is a super-satyr to also operate the ship."

"and not when there are seven other perfectly capable demig-"

"okay, enough!" annabeth groaned. "all you do is fight! enough! damn, just make out already or something!"

got that covered. leo thought to himself as he licked his lips.

"we'll do what jason said." annabeth sighed. "i think we should try to do it like that, but say we have one attack particularly bad; if more than three need to be on watch at one time, i think it'll be fine." she nodded