Prologue

Prologue

Pain. Pain allows you to hope for a better future, but fear can prevent that hope. Any good memory I have made in this dammed place has been absorbed by fear, and I'm sick of it because it's not like I can just stop being scared now.

It's like being afraid of heights. People automatically assume that going on the tallest ride or jumping off a cliff is somehow going to miraculously erase the fear...the only thing it's achieving is a panic attack.

Anyway, I can't escape the memories from this hellhole, but I've been trying to move on from it. I shook my thoughts away and opened the front door to my house which I adored a few weeks ago. 

"Kaitlin, can you come here please?" my Mom called from the kitchen.

"Coming" I closed the front door and kicked off my shoes while walking into the kitchen where she's waiting. Everything is in boxes which only meant one thing...

"Please don't say it" I groaned.

"I'm sorry Kait, I got offered a job again. I'm afraid we have to move" She gave me an apologetic look and stood up to hug me.

My body sighed in exhaustion and I stepped back from her embrace. 

"Mom, I can't do this anymore. You asked me to settle and look where that got me. Everything is ruined because of-" I paused and shook my head. "I hate it here Mom. This town- no, this whole state is a curse. But, sending us off to another isn't going to change anything Mom. Can't we just go home? To our real home?" 

A huge grin is on her face "Kaitlin-"

"Mom, this isn't funny. Do you understand how draining this is for us! Where are we going this time? England? Or maybe across the whole globe to Australia"

To be honest, anything but America would be perfect. 

"Kaitlin!" She laughed. 

Is she okay...

I groaned in frustration "I'm being serious Mom! What do you think-" I tried to find the right words but my mind was jumbled. "What would Jesus do Mom? Think about it! Because I think he would stop you from whisking us to every state as if we're on a world tour"

"What on earth are you talking about?" 

"Mom stop laughing! I am being serious.  When are we going? Do the rest know about it"

"Yes, they're already packed. They knew ages-" she paused "Kaitlin just listen"

"What?" I exclaimed. 

Why am I always the last one to find out?

"We're going back, back to San Francisco. For good, and you're going to the same school. You're going to be back with your friends. Just like the way it was" she grinned. "This is what your father always wanted, so let's fulfill it"

It felt like a huge boulder lifted from my chest and my face lit up with happiness. I'm finally going home.  

I shrieked in joy and ran towards my Mom, tackling her with kisses and jumping up and down "THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO MUCH. When are we going?" I exclaimed. 

"We won't be going if you don't hurry up. Our flight is in 3 hours" 

I pulled back and blinked at her "3 hours?" 

This would be the only time I wished that she lied and that our flight was actually in 6 hours, but judging on how I can't hear a sound from my siblings who never shut the hell up, we must be late.

"Yes 3 hours, now hurry up" she started to push me out of the kitchen and up the stairs. 

I ran to my room and straight to my laptop to facetime my best friends, Charlie, Emily, and Lucy.