Chapter 6 | Another side

( POV: RAZE AEDEN )

( POV: RAZE AEDEN )

"Of course, your highness."

She curtsies to me while she has that phony smile on her face. Her cheeks are still a bit flushed, and the side of her neck is already red.

Her hair remains in a perfect braid even though I'm sure she fought with a lot of rebels. The evidence is clear on her face. Her lip busted and her side bleeding.

She meets my eyes and not even a few seconds later does she walk away.

My mind is still too stunned to even process the last few minutes.

I shouldn't have done that.

But somehow I couldn't stop myself. When she leaned in, when her hand wrapped around my neck and she pulled me closer, I couldn't stop myself.

I knew she did it to protect me, which is surprising, to say the least, but I wished she did it because she felt the same burning sensation.

When she ran away to fight the rebels, I knew she'd be okay. Then when the servants came in and practically started screaming that she was fighting off three men on her own, I lost it.

I wasn't worried about her. No, not at all. But the engagement is soon, she can't die. I am the one who needs to kill her. That's probably the same reasoning she used when she saved me.

When I saw her casually strolling to the dungeons while I was searching everywhere for her, a form of anger and a bit of relief washed over me.

I don't think I'll ever forget the excitement I felt when she didn't pull back. I knew I had her at that moment, however fleeting it may have been. And somehow that made me feel good, victorious, triumphant.

Her smell, her warmth, it's intoxicating. I'm starting to believe it's a good thing that she hates being touched. Maybe she knows her effect on people. She's like some sort of Medusa.

I don't know why but I want to help her overcome that fear, I want to know why she has it in the first place. I made her feel good and for some odd reason, I want to keep making her feel that way.

Basically, my mind has been occupied with thoughts about Fallon Crow for the last two weeks. Murderous thoughts, obsessive thoughts, curious thoughts, and so on.

However positive or negative those thoughts may have been, they were constantly about her. I thought ignoring her after that poisoning incident would be useful but it didn't help at all.

I watch her turn around the corner without so much as a glimpse in my direction. My ability to walk returns the moment that she's out of sight. It's as though I couldn't move until she had left, my feet didn't allow me.

"Raze! Raze, get your ass over here!"

I peek over my shoulder and note Laurent dragging an unconscious man.