Chapter 9 | Dining with the devil

( POV: ZALE FEARSEY )

My second glass of whiskey is downed in under a minute. Yes, I am counting. I normally don't count. Imagine how bored I must be.

This dinner couldn't be more tedious. The ladies at the table are pretty but I have no energy left to flirt with them.

My sisters have drowned out all my energy. Fallon especially, worrying about her is the only thing I've been doing for days now.

Ever since that stunt that fucking idiot of a king had pulled, I couldn't get her frightened gaze out of my head.

She's strong, I know that but that doesn't mean I'm not worried. I failed to protect her once and I won't fail again. With either of my sisters.

So yeah, I am sitting and drinking. I can't stomach any food.

Fal, late as always, arrives right on time. Her time. I give her a look that says, 'the fuck were you thinking?'

She responds with, 'I'll do whatever the fuck I want, drink your shit, and calm your ass.'

Fallon and I are professionals at this.

Because this ball was for her and Raze, the king, she needs to sit beside him. It's obligatory.

I sense the tension without even looking at them. They have literally been fighting all day, the bloody clothes say more than enough.

Wait.

I squeeze my eyes, focusing on them. Yup, they just had another fight.

Her hair is messier and his shirt is unbuttoned at the top. And no, this can't be anything else. Fallon would never.

Raze smiles at her, a smile that almost seems genuine. Fallon doesn't even bother to fake a smile.

Some whispers go around the unnecessarily large dining table. Raze nudges her under the table and Fal fakes a smile.

Her white teeth are on full display, and her smile seems painful to me but to anyone else, they are the picture of happiness.

Corvina isn't here but I didn't expect her to be. She never eats before a mission, it makes her sick. And this is a mission so I'm not surprised.

Although I wish she were here.

It would be easier to protect my sisters if they were both by my side.

"Hi!"

An obnoxiously high voice grabs my attention.

I turn around and I don't see anyone. I avert my gaze back to my new glass of whiskey.

"Hello!"

This time I feel a tug at my pants. What in the-

Oh dear god, it's a child.