Chapter 50 | Retribution

( POV: FALLON CROW )

The kid wraps his tiny arms around my leg, he's scared out of his mind. I place my hand behind me trying to soothe him, I can still hear him cry.

I stand my ground when Deimos speaks again, telling me to let the child go.

"I'm not letting you hurt him. Not if I can do something about it." Deimos laughs at me. A menacing laugh.

"Aye, will she take the flogging for him then?" the man behind us asks, the flogger.

Deimos is quick to shut him up. He grabs my forearm and yanks me forward, "don't make me hurt you. Let the child go,"

"No."

I see more and more people gather around the town square, we're attracting more attention. I don't know if that's good or bad. It's dark outside but the square is being lit up with candles and lights.

"Fallon," Deimos warns me.

I turn to the flogger and nod, "I'll take the punishment. How many?" I ask while gesturing to his whip.

He smiles, "25 for you."

"The child will be left alone?"

"It's a fair trade, my lady."

Deimos intervenes, "I am not letting you do this. Not for a snotty little child."

"Alright, will you pardon him then?"

He rolls his eyes, "I can't do that either."

I smile, "then shut the fuck up," I know I'm pushing it, I know he'll punish me for taking this punishment, however ironic that may sound. Nonetheless, he will let me do this.

Because that fucked up part of him wants me to feel the pain, he probably thinks I'll search for comfort in his arms. Or he wants to teach me a lesson. Whatever it is, he lets me do it.

I crouch to be on the same level as the child, he does not dare to look at me. "You don't have to be scared, alright? It's over."

He nods without looking up.

"Can you tell me your name?"

"Zaid el-Sani," he whispers, his voice is shaky as he fiddles with a string on his ripped clothes.

I smile a little, "that's a gorgeous name Z-"

"They usually call me Sani," He sniffles.

"Okay, Sani. You can go now. Don't come back and don't look back, yeah? I'll make sure you get some food with you."

He finally glances up at me and his expression shatters me. His small face is covered in tears but he's trying to play it off, his lips in a soft pout. His eyes are hazel leaning more towards green, the light color of his eyes a stark contrast to the color of his brown skin.