Chapter 14 | The aftermath

( POV: FALLON CROW )

As we sit in the broken-down carriage, I try to come up with a plan. We already decided that going to The Ridge on foot won't work out. Since the horses have either died or they ran away, we have no choice but to walk back. It's going to take a while but it's closer than The Ridge.

We sit silently next to each other, trying to calm down, process what happened, and regain our strength.

I don't notice that I'm resting my head on his shoulder until he moves. I instantly jerk away but Raze shakes his head, gently tugging me back, whispering, "It's okay."

I glance up at him and see his eyebrows furrow and his eyes darker than usual. He's concentrated on a ripped piece of clothing on the seat in front of us.

His hand is absent-mindedly caressing my arm, he's slowly moving the back of his hand up and down. He's deep in thought but still manages to somehow keep some of his attention on me. I don't quite know what to think of that.

I feel confused by his behavior but decide not to say anything about it. Everyone deals differently with these kinds of things. I think he feels guilty about young Arryn's death since he died trying to protect us, me. I can't know for sure how he feels but I know that's how I feel, guilty.

"You're not hurt right?" I ask once he seems a little less angry. Not that I'm scared of him- or for him.

"No."

He too glances at me now, allowing me to fully see his face- his worried expression immediately catches my attention.

"We survived it, don't keep worrying about it."

He sighs deeply, "Yeah but there's a chance you couldn't- we couldn't have." He corrects himself.

Raze keeps looking at me as if he wants to say something else but he doesn't. Instead, he taps my arm motioning me to get up.

I do what he wants without once breaking our eye contact. I'm trying to understand what's going through his mind but it's impossible. And gazing into his eyes isn't helping. At least, it's not helping with the understanding thing, it surely is helping with other things.

He jumps out of the carriage and holds his hand out to help me down. I don't take it so he sighs and moves his hands onto my waist, hauling me down. My hands instantly reach to hold onto his shoulders.

"I'm not wearing a dress, I could easily get out myself." I let out, sounding less frustrated than I am. Or more. I'm not sure what I'm feeling right now or even better, what I'm supposed to feel.

"Since when is being a gentleman bad?"

I roll my eyes at him and before I can even ask what he's planning, he grabs my hand and we start walking.