~Soulmate Markings~

Requested (January 2021) by: lilmsArtsyFartsy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Third POV

The soulmate marking appears anywhere on the body at birth, and according to superstition, the larger the marking the larger the bond between soulmates. There is nothing a person can do to cover up their mark or to get rid of it; it only disappears when their soulmate dies. Every person is born with a marking.

Well, everyone except Y/n L/n.

The first time Y/n witnessed a pairing come together, the glow that was emitted could almost be felt physically as the couple accidentally brushed past each other in the hallway. The whole grade buzzed about how their markings glowed a pretty pink. Y/n couldn't help but agree that it was indeed beautiful.

Soon enough, pairings were becoming made left and right, as if taunting the markless Y/n. Along with the new pairings came a wider awareness of markings. It was almost expected of you to be curious about your friend's marking and whether or not they've found their soulmate.

"Where is your marking?"

"How big is it?"

"Have you found your soulmate yet?"

Y/n was beginning to run out of excuses to give so in the end, she decided to keep to herself. Apparently, she was the only person in her whole high school capable of minding their own business, so the few friends (ok, maybe just the one friend) she had she knew she could fully trust. If people found out that she did not have a marking she'd get sent to science labs so they could decide what was "wrong" with her, and who knows what they'd do to her there.

Y/n's POV

After years of not having a mark, I've started wondering why the fuck they even exist. If we just sat back and stopped romanticizing it, we'd realize that if it were really true love, you wouldn't need a damn mark on your body to be the thing to determine it.

I've convinced myself that I don't need a dumb marking– I'll decide who to love myself. Of course, only if there is even someone out there who decides they don't need a marking either, which is probably no one since everyone is so damn desperate to find "their other half".

Not that I don't want one, but it's such a hassle dodging people's attempts at trying to start a conversation. It's like everyone forgets what privacy is as soon as they're gossiping about soulmate marks.

I jumped as I heard the ring of the bell that signaled break was over, startling me out of my thoughts. I looked around for B/f/n before I remembered that her dumbass was at home, sick. She left me to fend for myself in this hell hole. Fake.

Shit, I'm gonna be late to math!

I sped-walked down the hallway, expertly dodging and weaving between students. Somehow I still beat half the class and got to my usual seat in the back. When the bell rang to start the class, I slumped down in my seat, my head resting on my arms so I could take a nap.

"Hey."

"...Ummm Hello?"

"Y/n!"

I jerked my head up and blinked my eyes open, looking for the nagging voice.

What the fuck, am I seriously the only one who knows how to mind their own damn business?

"Geez, you're not supposed to sleep in class Y/n. At least wait till lunch, here."

I raised my eyebrows when my vision finally cleared. My heart started beating faster as I realized who was talking to me.

C/n shook his hand a little, his arm still outstretched holding a paper he was trying to pass to me.