~Unlikely Duo~

Requested (July 2021) by: olaf_w

Y/l/n: Your Last Name
C/l/n: Crush's Last Name
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Third POV

It wasn't normal for Y/n to be so stressed before a math competition but the semi-finals were what was going to determine her future: whether or not she'd be able to make it into finals and get the scholarship that would allow her to afford university.

There was also the factor of C/n, who was also competing and someone she strongly despised for seeming so effortlessly perfect. One of the only students able to rival Y/n in academics, C/n seemed to somehow be good at everything. Y/n didn't doubt that he worked hard (although she's 100% sure she works harder) but she actually needs the scholarship while C/n is privileged enough to be able to go to any college without worrying about the money.

So in Y/n's mind, she deserved to win the competition much more and he was a large obstacle in her way. They never got along together anyway.

Y/n's POV

I cracked my knuckles, meticulously bending each of my fingers as I waited for my turn to go up onto the stage. It's a good stress reliever on top of giving me something to focus on when I feel anxious. So far, there are ten semi-finalists and only four of us can make it into the finals.

Finally, it was my turn and as I reached for the whiteboard marker, I tried to get rid of all outside thoughts as I waited for the judge to call time. I focused on my breathing and stared a hole into the back of the card that would determine what question I had to answer, as if by simply willing it I'd be able to gain X-ray vision.

For this competition, each person is given a random equation and then timed for how fast they can finish it. There are only two possible equations so people are bound to get the same one. The top four times will make it to the finals. Your time won't even be considered if you answered incorrectly. It's a lot of pressure since people are watching you as you compute the numbers and no one can see anyone else's time until the very end when results are finalized. The adrenaline rush is very appreciated though in this kind of competition.

(I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about 👍)

I hit the button for time and looked at the clock where my result was displayed. I smiled to myself, proud of the time that I managed to get and hopeful for how I did compared to everyone else.

"Thank you so much everyone for participating today! Let's give a round of applause to all our participants for making it this far!" The announcer said once everyone had competed.

I sat stiffly in my seat beside the rest of the competitors. I was slightly annoyed at the fact that I got sat next to C/n but I was too busy anticipating the results to care as much as I usually would.

"Sadly, not everyone will be able to move on to the finals so we're going to put the times on the screen!" The announcer pointed to the scoreboard as everyone's name and time appeared.

The audience gasped dramatically as my jaw dropped once we all saw the board.

"Well it looks like for the first time in the 32 years of this competition's existence, two competitors got the exact same time!"

C/n and I made eye contact as if seeing each other would help make this situation more believable.

"Bro what the fuck," C/n said.

I rolled my eyes, "That's what I'm saying."

"Of course, the judges have already realized this and they've decided, to commemorate this once-in-a-blue-moon event, the finals are going to be turned into a 2v2 with the winning duo gaining the awards!"