9. The String That Ties Us

Diana and you changed out of your soaked clothes. And Nora served you both her special soup to warm you up.

The lecture Nora gave still rang loudly in your ears as you sulkingly finished the soup.

Diana was holding her laugh but failing as her shoulders shook with each breath.

"Stop that." You nudged her with a frown.

"Sorry," Diana mumbled.

You quietly took both of your empty bowls and put them in the sink. Nora shooed you away when you tried to wash it and motioned at Diana.

You were pretty sure Nora was planning on scrubbing the kitchen clean herself. It usually involves her cleaning away at every tiny little corner for hours on end until it shines like diamonds. She was a clean freak like that.

You went and sat beside her.

Diana kept glancing at the window.

"Is someone there? Why do you keep glancing at the outside?"

Diana jumped in shock. She didn't sense you behind her. "Don't scare me!"

You laughed. "It's not my fault you're spacing out."

"I was not!" Diana defended. "I was looking at the night sky. So many shiny stars, it looks so pretty."

"Really?" You climbed on the bed and opened the window and shivered at the cold breeze.

"Meow.."

Ether grumbled at the disturbance.

"Ah, sorry." You quickly patted his belly and soon his eyes closed back.

You gestured for Diana to come close. Diana carefully climbed up the bed. She paused seeing Ether.

"He's adorable."

"Adore him from a distance." You warned.  "That brat doesn't like people coming close to him. So don't touch him, especially when he's sleeping."

Diana looked disappointed but nodded obediently. She sat near you and put her elbows leaning on the ledge of the window.

"Look, that's the one!" Diana said. "The biggest one and the smaller one beside it! Nonna uses them to travel anywhere and then back home. She always tells us to follow the breeze or look at the stars for guidance when lost."

"Look at the stars when you're lost.."

"Yep! Nature never lies."

You looked at the twin stars and then blurted out, "So like a sailor?"

"Hmm?" Diana tilted her head in confusion.

"You use the stars as a compass, right? Don't know about the breeze though."

"What's a sailor or a compose?"

"Compass." You corrected her and asked. "You never traveled through the seaway?"

"No." Diana looked confused. "I'll ask Nonna if she had!"

"Children, what are you doing?"

Nora's scolding voice broke through your conversation.

You looked at her and glanced at Diana who mimicked your grin. "We're star gazing!"

Nora sighed. "Girls, it's late. Stop fooling around and close the window. Your cold will get worse."

"But--"

"No. Do as I say." Nora said sternly.

You both pulled away from the window and shut it close.