The Grimm Reaper

Once we're far enough away, Weiss speaks. "Solar, how do you feel?" Weiss asks concerned. "Better. It's like...a fog has lifted in my head. I can move again, without feeling like I'm going to collapse...what...were those things..?" I ask, looking to her. "The Apathy. They're not Strong, or Ferocious. They drain your will to go on. Those who have a higher sensitivity, have been known to lose control of their bodies. Their motor skills are blocked, and it only gets worse with prolonged exposure. Some have been known to die, even before the Apathy finds them. All the person needs, is to be within a mile radius of them...you are lucky to be alive girl." Maria says, glancing over her shoulder at me. I avert my gaze, the realization of how close to death I had been, weighs heavily on my shoulders. I see Qrow fist his hands and clench his teeth, as he looks away. Qrow.. I knew he blamed himself. I sigh and shake my head.

"Bartleby's Estate, was hemorrhaging money towards the end. He wanted to cut costs on Huntsman protection. But, in order to do that, he needed everyone calm. Always." Maria explains. "What do you mean?" I ask her. "Managed to get two away from their pack. Hike back was miserable but, I got the bastards in the cellar. The wife thinks I was out sealing the waterway entrance. I'll do it tomorrow and tell her the truth once these things take the edge off of everyone. I'm tired." Oscar reads from the journal in his hands. "The next page proves that he did. But, not before the rest of the pack followed their missing pair all the way home." Maria adds. "My guess is, the way beneath the estate, through the water tunnels that Bartleby sealed up the next morning. Bartleby's plan worked. No one was Angry, or Sad, or Scared. No one was anything, and then.." Maria trails off. "No one was left." She finishes, before throwing the book away. It lands somewhere in the pine trees. 

I listen carefully to these words, eyes widened in horror. So...this Bartleby...is the reason.. I don't finish that thought. "All those people.." I say, barely above a whisper, before I shake my head solemnly. "I'm...sorry for what I said.." Weiss speaks, catching our attention. "About giving up.." She clarifies. Yang slows us down, before stopping. "Me too. We can't quit until the lamp is safe." Yang says. "It's not your fault. It was...those things.." Blake says. "I should've known." Maria says, catching my attention. "The signs were all there. But I'd never seen an entire settlement withered away like that. I suppose my mind just...isn't what it use to be.." Maria says. Who is this woman..? 

"Miss Calavera..?" Ruby asks, catching Maria's attention. "How do you know so much about the Grimm?" Ruby asks. "Yes, I was wondering that myself just now.." I say. "And in the tunnels, you knew exactly what to say to make me...to make my eyes do that...how?" Ruby asks. Maria smiles at this. "Well, isn't it obvious girl? I had Silver Eyes." She states, with a slight chuckle. "Silver Eyes? What does that mean..?" I ask confused. Ruby and Maria look to me, along with the others. "You don't know?" Blake asks. "Know what?" I ask, looking to her confused. Qrow sighs. "Yeah, that's my fault. I haven't really filled her in on everything yet." He says, rubbing the back of his neck. Ruby sighs and looks to me. "I don't know much about it myself but, according to Uncle Qrow, when someone is born with Silver Eyes, they're called Silver Eyed Warriors. People who are destined to become Huntsmen and Huntresses, because their eyes have the power to kill Grimm." Ruby explains. My eyes widen. "I see.." I say. "Yeah.." She says. Alright then.. Maria sighs. "Now that that's out of the way, how about a little story.." Maria says. I raise a brow, but stay quiet. Maria begins her tale soon after

"I can't believe it, you...you're The Grimm Reaper.." Qrow says after Maria finishes. "That name...I remember you told me about this, when we were younger." I say, looking to Qrow. He nods with a slight smile, before looking to Maria. I glance at his weapon. If I remember correctly...didn't he.. "You were a Legend and then...you disappeared." Qrow says, snapping me out of my thoughts. "How does a Legend just disappear?" Oscar asks. "You never used your name. Never showed your face. Lots of us just thought you were laying low. Eventually we came to accept that you were probably dead. But the stories about you...I based my weapon off of yours." Qrow says. As I thought. "I wanted to be as good as The Grimm Reaper." He adds. Maria glances over her shoulder at him, before looking back.