The Dreaded Nora

Ruby smiles brightly as I accept the piece of cake she held out to me. "Thank you, you two." I say with a nod. "What are you doing here all by yourself?" Ruby asks concerned. "..." I stay silent at first. I won't ruin this moment for her.. With that thought, I sigh, and laugh quietly. "I thought it best to stay here, in fear of Nora challenging me to a cake eating contest." I say, motioning towards Nora, who was currently trying to shove a piece of cake into Ren's mouth. Qrow and Ruby start laughing, seeing the scene unfold. "Yeah, she can be pretty competitive.." Ruby speaks, cringing slightly, before laughing and sitting next to me on my left. "I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you don't make eye contact." Qrow says, sitting on the right side of me. I nod at these words. "Even so, I believe this is the safer option.." I say, laughing quietly. "Hey Ruby!" Yang calls out, catching our attentions. "Come check this out!" Yang adds. Exchanging a glance, the three of us stand, and make our way towards the others.

As we got closer, Ruby sees something, that makes her eyes widen in shock. She speeds towards them within the blink of an eye, leaving Qrow and I in the dust. "Oh my gosh, is that a mission board?! It's an app now?!" I hear Ruby exclaim in delight. I smile at her excitement, shaking my head. "Scared of a cake eating contest..?" I hear Qrow say, just loud enough for only me to hear. My eyes widen, and I sigh. It seems I've been caught.. I smirk, before glancing towards him. "Of course. Eating too much sweets is bad for your health afterall." I say. He gives a knowing look, but sighs, smirks, and shakes his head. "Right." he says, just before we reach the others.

"Can we ride a Megoliath? Stop an underground crime ring? Do I get to go-"Ruby cuts off, before putting her hood up, and turning around

"Can we ride a Megoliath? Stop an underground crime ring? Do I get to go-"Ruby cuts off, before putting her hood up, and turning around. "Undercover..?" She asks, changing her voice, as she looks towards us, picking up Penny and shaking her in excitement repeatedly. "Maybe!" Penny says. I raise a brow at the two of them, before laughing quietly. Footsteps approach us from the side, catching my attention. "Hey, you guys smell that?" Marrow's voice appears, before the sound of sniffing catches my attention. "Smells like...fresh meat." Marrow finishes, as Vine, Elm, and himself walk up to us. Vine sniffs the air. "That's odd, I don't smell meat.." Vine says cluelessly, right before Ren sniffs the air too. "Neither do I.." Ren says, just as cluelessly. I raise a brow. Now what do these three want, I wonder..? We all turn towards them.

Marrow groans in annoyance. "You know what? Nevermind." Marrow says, sighing in defeat that his joke didn't register. "So let me get this straight.." Elm speaks suddenly. "You've only been official for an hour now, and you're already looking for Huntsmen work?" she finishes. My eyes widen. Has it really been an hour already..? "To be fair, we've been official for a whole...57 minutes.." Weiss says, staring down at her scroll. "I'd like to remind you all, that the real mission here is ensuring the successful launch of the communications tower." Vine says, as calm as ever. "True, but we can also keep training and improving by helping where we can." Ren adds with a nod. "Aah, the enthusiasm of youths!" Elm says excitedly, with a bright smile on her face.

 "Aah, the enthusiasm of youths!" Elm says excitedly, with a bright smile on her face

"Well, it's hard to argue with that. Okay, lemme show you how it works." Marrow says with a shrug, before walking towards the hologram of the missions list. He scrolls down the list, stopping at one of the missions, and clicking on it. "Here's an important one, who wants to volunteer?" Marrow asks. All the kids raise their hands immediately, without even hearing the mission type. "We need someone to escort children to pre-primary school down in Mantle. There's not actually any danger but, the parents fret, and that attracts Grimm." he adds, before looking back to them, seeing everyone but Jaune lower their hands. Marrow smirks. "Perfect, thanks! Juan? Ju-an? Jim?" Marrow asks, unsure of Jaune's name. Jaune's face twists into a pout for a split second. "Close enough I guess.." Jaune says. I sigh and shake my head. His name is Jaune, quite easy to remember.. "Wow, my first Huntsman mission..!" Jaune says, right before Elm charges forward, pushing Marrow out of the way, earning a startled cry from Marrow.

"Next!!" Elm says enthusiastically, before scrolling down the list, bringing up another mission, without even sparing Marrow a glance. I glance over Elm's shoulder, towards the crumpled heap that was Marrow, sprawled out on the ground, raising a brow. Is he...alright..? His leg twitches slightly, earning a sigh from me, before I walk towards him, and hold out my hand. "Are you alright..?" I ask him. Seeing me there, Marrow wags his tail, before quickly getting up without an issue. "Oh, that was nothing!" he says smiling happily. To think I was even concerned.. Realizing he was just being over dramatic, I roll my eyes, and head back towards Qrow. This earns a pout from Marrow, his tail drooping. "Oh come on, don't be mad Solar!" Marrow calls out to me. I ignore him and sigh, tuning him out. 

Returning to Qrow's side, I see an amused grin on his face, as he stares at me. "Don't start." I say, crossing an arm over my chest, and placing a hand to my forehead. "Wouldn't dream of it.." Qrow replies, but not without a chuckle. Hearing this, I smack him with my tail, earning a grunt, before more chuckles ensue. Seeing that didn't work, I sigh, and shake my head. He is never going to let me live this one down...is he? With that thought, I sigh, and focus back on Elm and the mission board.