19. Milo

Milo woke up the next morning. He wanted to scream. He had a horrible nightmare about being sent back to the harvest camp. But instead of being unwound himself, he was watching Bridge going through his situation. The nurses using their tools to slowly take him apart. Piece by piece being stuffed away, until the table was empty. No remains of the victim, except for the many parts that were being put into a meat fridge. Then, out nowhere, he saw the number 15.

Milo couldn't bare it. This had to be some sort of prophecy. The number 15 had to have meant the number of days before Bridge would be unwound. Even though he didn't know him very well, he knew he had to do something. He was a good person, and didn't deserve to be sent to die in the most horrific way possible.

Milo sat up and looked around. Irene was sitting next to the stuff, and Wendy was laying on the floor, asleep. Kingsley was nowhere to be seen. He stood up and wandered over to Irene. He could see that she looked a bit sad.

"Hey Irene, what's going on?" He asked. Irene quickly looked at him with a surprised look on her face, before smiling. He didn't understand why she did that. She was sad, why not act like it?
"Oh hey Milo! I'm just figuring out what we should eat!" Irene replied, the biggest smile on her face.
"Okay. Do you know where Kingsley is?" He asked. Irene seemed a bit surprised, but didn't forget her happy demeanor.
"Kingsley? He went to town to find clothes so we can disguise ourselves." Irene explained. Milo kept staring at her.
"He went out to get stuff for us... wearing a hospital gown?" He asked. Irene stared at him for a second.
"No, he had packed some clothes for himself when he escaped, so he's wearing those. Unfortunately, he only brought one thing of clothes." Milo nodded, and sat down. He sighed for a moment, trying to calm himself down. But he was shivering in fear. He didn't understand why though. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah! I'm fine!" He replied immediately. Everything was silent for a moment.
"Milo, you can tell me." She said, gently putting a hand on his arm.
"I..." he looked at her. She looked very worried. But he was mostly focused of her face. It may have seemed stupid, but he'd never seen someone as naturally beautiful as Irene. Not even his own girlfriend. Honestly, she just seemed perfect in every way. Which, made him give up trying to hide how nervous he was. "I'm scared... my friend could be dying right now... and I didn't do anything to help him." She gave him a weak smile.
"I've had that happen to me before. I really wish I had done something more to help, but I didn't. But it made me a better person because of it." She explained. Milo couldn't tell if that made him feel better of not. "And since I'm better now, I'll do my best to help you get your friend back."
"Irene, you can't say that. We can't sneak into a harvest camp. We'll die if we do." He explained. Irene stopped, quickly taking her arm off of his shoulder, and sat in silence. Her smile was completely gone now, her face left with a blank expression. "I appreciate the offer though..." Milo stood up, and left Irene to her thoughts. He wandered over to a single tree, and sat down. If only he could save Bridge.