29. Wendy

"Hey Wendy!" Kanai said, waving to her. She rolled her eyes as he walked over to her.
"What do you want..." She asked.
"What? Am I not allowed to hang out with you?" He laughed. He sat down next to her. "Here, I got this for you." He pulled out a chocolate bar. Wendy stared, completely confused. But she took it, since she liked chocolate.
"Thanks..." she replied, opening it and taking a huge bite. She chewed and swallowed, and then put it down. "Don't you have better things to do than come to see our little group?"
"Nah, not really. Kingsley was the only good friend I had before this whole thing went down. I want to be friends with him again... but..." he paused for a moment. She stared at him.
"Listen, you have to find other people to hang out with. Kingsley's lost his memory and is now going on this sad guy rant about..." Wendy stopped. She didn't really know what exactly to say. Kanai had no idea what happened last night. Should she even tell him.
"Could I just hang out with you?" He asked. Wendy glared at him, as he smiled. She rolled her eyes.
"Ugh, I guess." She replied, looking away from him. He laughed in response.

Wendy thought to herself. This kid, why was he lucky enough to have parents who didn't sign him away to die? She hadn't done anything, and her mom decided to unwind her. She seemed way more capable than him. And so he was more valuable as a person?

She was angry. But not angry enough to actually yell about it. It was still annoying though. Her death was imminent because her mom said so. It was so stupid.

It reminded her of tithes. People who are born to be unwound. Taught that it was the best experience any person could go through. Wendy found them to be self entitled jerks before. They'd judge you on the smallest of things, and praise to their so called "lord" about how they were chosen to save the lives of hundreds of people. Sure, it was good to actually save the lives of so many people because you gave up your organs, but what about your life? Isn't it as precious as any other?

But only now she realized what a tithe has gone through. Their whole life, they've been waiting to turn thirteen so they can die. So they can be put into a "divided state". That must be the worst thing anyone can go through.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Kanai asked. Wendy came out of her headspace, and looked at him.
"How horrible life is." She replied.
"Been there!" He laughed. Wendy thought t was sort of insensitive, but she chuckled as well.
"Alright guys, we have to set up some rules. Let's go to the campfire, and we'll start." Kingsley cut in, before walking off. Wendy rolled her eyes, and reluctantly stood up.

She walked to the campfire. She stared off at the sky for a couple of seconds. Would it even really matter if they set up these rules? What were the consequences even going to be? Death?

"Alright, let's start." Kingsley said, sitting down on the ground. He scanned everyone's faces, before he began to speak. "The first rule, I believe, should be that no one is allowed to rat out the rest of the group." He looked at Wendy. She rolled her eyes in response. "If any of you are against the rule, tell me now." Everyone was silent.

The rest of the night was just them talking about what we should do, and what not to do. Wendy didn't really care. She just wanted to go to bed, since the sun was setting. She stood up, and walked over to the cave, and later down. She started to close her eyes, but just as she did, she saw Kingsley... staring at the fire. She didn't put much thought about it though.