43. Wendy

Wendy was put into a room with an older woman. There were bookcases, and a big desk. It must've been an office of some sort.

The person was writing something on her clipboard. But she wasn't concerned about that. One, she was looking for anyway she could get out. Two, she wished she had apologized to Irene for what she said. Three, the fear was finally setting in. This was the place where thousands of children go to die. And this is where she was going to meet the same fate. That realization... made her panic.

"Alright, let's begin the questioning, Wendy Fowler." The woman said.
"My name is Jayanna." She replied. The person rolled their eyes at her.
"Do you have any skills?" She asked. "We just lost our percussionist."
"How'd you lose them?" Wendy responded, a smug look on her face. The woman didn't respond.
"What are your skills?" She repeated. Wendy rolled her eyes, and smirked.
"I can escape easily." She said. The woman glared at her. "I'm a dictator." The woman, looked back down at the paper. "And I own international unwind safe houses."
"Good for you." She replied, writing something down.
"You wanna see a magic trick? I'm really good at those!" Wendy's smug smile became even wider. The woman looked at her unimpressed. Swiftly, Wendy pulled her hands from the cuffs. She ran for the door. Suddenly, a shock went through her body, as she fell to the ground. She looked back up at the woman, who carried a taser in her hand. "You're evil."
"It's an honest living." The woman replied. Wendy didn't say anything in return. She just let herself be picked up by this demon of a person.

She was given a light pink, long sleeved uniform. After about an hour of retaliation, she finally put it on. Then, she was given the number forty-seven, and thrown into a huge room. Millions of beds lined the walls, each one with a number on it. She walked up to a girl.

"Hey. Do you guys have any escape plans for getting out of this dump?" She asked. The girl looked at her like she was insane.
"What are you talking about?" The girl replied.
"You know, getting out of this harvest camp?" She responded. The girl glared at her, and then looked away.
"People are so delusional." The girl mumbled. Wendy's fists tightened.
"I'm delusional because I want to survive!?" She yelled back.
"You're delusional to think that anyone could survive this dump!" She screamed.
"Hey! Rachel let's not pick anymore fights, alright?" A guy with blonde hair ran over and pushed the girl away from Wendy. The person looked back at her. "I'm sorry about my friend, she's really nice when you get to know her."
"I was just asking if you guys had an escape plan." She replied. The guy gave her a scared and cautious look.
"Listen, you're new, right?" He asked. Wendy nodded. He sighed. "We had someone escape a couple of days ago. Because of that, the security is tighter than it's ever been. It's not that it's impossible to get out, but..." he stopped talking.
"What my friend Theo is trying to say is that if you try anything, you're going to die." The girl, who's name is apparently Rachel, said. Wendy glared at her.
"Well, I guess it's a challenge then." She replied. The girl looked at her with a confused expression. One of her eye brows being raised.
"What?" She said. Her eyes opened wider. "Oh. You're gonna try THAT. Welp, don't come to me when they send you to die." She walked away. Theo looked to Wendy, sadness in his eyes.
"I'd help you... but..." he paused, and closed his eyes. "I... I'm dying in four days. Don't tell anyone, especially Rachel. I don't want anyone to know." She nodded, watching him walk away.

But it was really sad to think about how so many people were going to die. And no one cared. It was always in the background, and never entered her mind. But now, she was stuck in the center of it all. It specifically effected her and every other unwind in this dump.

She looked at her hand. After a moment, she pulled it into a fist. Determination filled her veins, as she looked up at the horrible circumstances they were in. It was her personal mission to get every single person out of this dump.