Chapter 47: The Town Where Everything Began

The journey was a long one back to Wall Maria, however, the Scouts weren't going to look back they were going to change the future humanity needed to instill hope in the hearts of those who lost so much that day five years ago. And if retaking the wall would pose such a huge impact to everyone then that was a risk the Scouts needed to take.

It was their goal...

It...was their main mission.

When nightfall arrived the Scouts filed in a line as they followed the path near the wall as they had torch lights in their hands for easier sight for them. The titans around still seemed to be in their sleeping mode so that was good for them though Ayane had to whisper yell at a few of her squad members when they nearly shouted in fear.

'Can't blame some of them though...this will be the first time they see a titan...' Ayane thought.

Considering that the enemy was still after Eren and Ayane the two of them needed to keep themselves in the dark as much as possible as the others around them couldn't speak their names, Ayane's squad stood all around her looking at every corner of the trees beside them as they continued on the path.

Each and every one of them was honoured to be chosen for Ayane's squad as most of them admired Ayane for her strenght and skills whereas a few looked up to her as a good leader and believed she'd be one of the keys to help push humanity to its victory...now that was something Ayane wasn't used to...being looked up to and held at such a high standard.

Shaking her head at those thoughts Ayane knew she needed to focus on making sure her team got out of this alive, cause as a leader it was their duty to not only make sure humanity had a push forward but that her own men and woman would be able to get back to their families alive.

'Though with so little time frame I was able to train my squad on what to do I hope they'll have control of their emotions while facing titans.' Ayane thought.

When Jean saw a titan nearby after scolding Connie about saying Eren's name and told everyone to treat this area as the enemy was all over the place it was revealed that this titan was indeed asleep so it was safe to walk past it without trouble.

They were actually lucky that the light of the moon was covered, apparently, all these new titans really needed now for at night was the light from the moon. Ayane narrowed her eyes at the ground as her mind remembered back at that tower...closing her eyes as the deaths of her family resurfaced but when she felt a hand on her shoulder she gasped and looked to her left.

"Are you okay, Lieutenant?" Marlo asked.
"Yeah. Just make sure to keep your guard up, we're heading straight into our enemy's hands. Are you and everyone else prepared?" Ayane asked.
"Of course. You've trained us." Marlo replied a bit confused by her expression.
"Yeah, make me proud okay?" Ayane smirked a bit.
"We sure as hell will, right guys?" Floch smugly smirked.
"Yeah!" The other's whispered-yelled.

Ayane just nodded, up ahead Eren realized that his hand began to shake. Doubts began to rack his brain as he questioned if he could actually do this...what if's entered his mind as he looked over his shoulder and stared at Ayane's figure watching her converse with her squad.
'What if I screw this up and she ends up dying? I swore to myself I'd protect her no matter what...that we'd have a life together...that I would show her the outside world beyond these walls...but what if I fail and she suffers from my failure?' Eren thought.

Next thing Eren knew both Mikasa and Armin questioned if he was alright, that if he was scared. Quickly he denied it but Armin admitted to him that he was actually afraid himself. Though the blonde was never really sure if Eren has ever been scared of titans, to begin with. In the end, though Armin questioned how Eren had the strenght to save him when he was nearly eaten by a titan a while back.