Chapter 12

"Hey Cory." I groan into the phone. She literally woke me up from my sleep, at 2 am.

"Hey Luci." She sniffles and I sit up in alarm. Ever since I've known Cory, she's been a ray of sunshine.

"What's wrong?" I ask her, panic in my voice slightly.

"Y-you know that guy I've been talking too?" She asks and I hum, encouraging her to go on. "Well, turns out he didn't really like me, oh, and he's married, with four kids." She laughs, but it turns into a sob halfway through.

"I'm so sorry, Cory." I comfort her awkwardly. I never had to do something like this, but from the films I've watched, that's the normal thing to say. "He did not deserve you."

"Thanks, Luci." She sniffles again. "Sorry for calling you so early. I had no clue what to do from here forward, so I thought I would vent to you and you can tell me how to handle this situation."

"There's no need to thank me. All you gotta do now, is level up and be a better you." I tell her, stealing that line off of a nice reality tv show.

"Thanks, Luci. You're literally the bestest friend I'll ever have." She sighs into the phone and she chuckles.

"I've never been a friend before." I whisper down the line, mainly to myself but I know she heard me. I slip on some shorts, to go downstairs and sit outside on the patio.

"Well, you're a natural." She chuckles and sniffles noisily. "I can't believe I cried over a man. A white man at that."

"Damn, I don't even know what to say to that." I shrug, sitting on the padded pool chairs, as I listen to Cory talk.

"Alright, I'm going to head to bed now." She yawns loudly and I chuckle. "G'night."

"Night." I sigh, then hang up. I look up at the clear night sky, trying to count how many stars are in the sky. I get up, once the chill becomes too much and head back into the house quietly.

"Why were you outside?" My shoulders tense up at the sound of another boy. I look over my shoulder and see it's Jackson.

"I don't see how that's any of your business." I shrug, walking past him and heading up to my room. I hear his heavy footsteps behind me and I sigh.

"Why do you have to be so rude all the time?" Jackson asks, gripping my wrist to stop me from entering into my room. I easily yank my wrist out of his hold and sneer at him.

"First of all, don't touch me. Second of all, when you give respect you'll get respect. Now, excuse me." I enter into my room, slamming the door behind me.

I hope they find these people soon, so I can get out of here. I lay down, sleep pulling me under quickly.

~~

I jolt awake at the sound of something heavy dropping, causing my heart to squeeze itself tightly in fear. I take deep breaths to calm myself down, ignoring the shouting downstairs.

I head to take a shower, my heart still racing slightly. The water is frigid, to snap my mind out the memories it's trying to force on me, and it works. I dress quickly, then head down the stairs, to find something to eat. "There he is. I told you I saw him outside on the phone with somebody." Jackson says and I roll my eyes, ignoring the eyes on me.

"Who were you on the phone with, Lucifer?" Mercury asks and I raise a questioning brow at him.

"Like I told Jackson, I don't see how it's any of your business." My tone stays neutral, not giving away the anger building inside of me. I grab, a couple of things off the table, then head off to the patio, to eat by myself.