Chapter 21

My mind is running 100 miles per minute as I think over what James just told me. I slowly make my way up the stairs to Mercury's room. I knock lightly on his door. "Come in." The words are muffled by the thick door and I enter into the room.

Dinner will be in three hours and that's more than enough time for Mercury to really open up to me. The stuff Chase told me about Mercury's childhood was enough to make me see red.

Mercury didn't deserve anything that happened to him, just like I didn't deserve what happened to me, judging from how he's always so strong, the boys doesn't really know what happened in his childhood. "Hello." I call out, and I hear his voice come from the bathroom.

"One moment, Lucifer." He calls back. When he enters the room he's fully covered and I grind my teeth together. It's crazy how he made up a story to tell the others. He got his scars from a car accident. "Yes, how can I help you?" He forces a smile on his face.

"Do you mind?" I point to the chair in his room.

"Uh, no, not at all, please have a seat." He says nervously and I do. "What can I do for you?"

"I just wanted to thank you for taking such good care of James." I keep my tone neutral, not giving anything away.

"Oh, well that is no problem. I enjoy it." He says and a smile spreads over his face.

"You take such good care of every boy here." I continue and he furrows his brow. "You even take such good care of me."

"Uh, yeah. Of course." He's back to being nervous. He fidgets in his chair and I just run my gaze over him, as he continues to shrink into himself.

"That has me thinking, who takes care of you, Mercury?" His eyes snap to mine and I make sure my face is completely blank, even though all I want to do is wrap him up into my arms. I've always wanted to love and be loved, so I know what Mercury is feeling.

My first sub, left because I was smothering him too much. Once I have someone it's hard for me to let go. "I don't understand what you mean. The boys and I take care of each other." He phrases his words carefully.

"Of course you guys do, but I've noticed some things, especially when it concerns you, Ethan, and Mitel." He fidgets more and I hold off my sigh.

"I don't know what you mean." If I was one of those people, I would scoop him up into my arms and cry for him. I know he loves these boys and these boys love him, but he's still doing what he's been taught from childhood.

Hide his emotions.

"You're such a good person, Mercury." I whisper. "I want you to know that no matter what you can talk to me. I know I may seem closed off, but I'm a really good listener."

He nods, and I pretend I don't see him wipe that tear away. "Thank you." Once again he gives me that forced smile and I give him a sad one. I can't force him to talk to me. He'll come to me when he's ready and when he does, I'll accept him with open arms.

"No need to thank me." I rise from my seat, reaching my hand out to him. He places his hand in mine, and I pull him up from the bed, and he curls into himself again. "Don't do that." I run my hand down his back, forcing him to go to his full height. "You don't need to do any of that."

"Sorry." He mutters. I gently pull him out of his room, and we head towards the dining room, the wonderful smell of food drifting throughout the lower levels of the house. We find our way into the dining room, still hand in hand and he sits in his normal spot with a sigh. I give him a reassuring nod, then sit a couple places away from him.

My eyes lock with Mitel and then they move over to Ethan who stares between the two of us confused. My eyes glance back to Mercury, but he's staring intently at his hands. My sigh is barely audible and I make sure to keep an eye on him throughout the whole dinner.

I can tell both Pluto and Solar is worried by how quiet he is. Dinner is filled with light chatter, but I can't seem to focus on anything other than the information that I've been given.

My eyes land on Fjord's blue ones and I remember the camera in my room.