Chapter 13

"You need to learn what it means to be a good boy." My father sneers down at me.

"I am a good boy. I swear." I plead, but the sadistic glint in his eyes tells me that my pleading is all for nothing.

"You think I wouldn't find out?" He barks, laying another lash against my bloody back. I can't even feel the pain anymore.

"What did I do, Father?" My voice comes out strangled, as I try to keep my eyes open.

"You thought you could tell on us? No one cares about you boy. All they see is a rich boy, being defiant against his rich and influential parents. You are nothing." He hisses.

"I'm sorry." I mutter. I wasn't sorry to him, more so to myself. I should've known that woman wouldn't take me seriously. She's always chasing after my father.

"When you mess up you get punished." He whips again and I just allow my head to hang. This is how I'm going to die.

I jolt awake, the sun beaming down on me. "Ugh." I groan, shielding my eyes from the sun. I glance down at my phone, seeing that it's noon and curse. Cory is supposed to be coming to get me today. We have to go over my case once again.

I rush up the stairs, pulling on some jeans and a t-shirt. I slip a hoodie over me as well and see that Cory is outside. I bound down the stairs loudly, and stop at the door to put my sneakers on my feet. When I get outside, I see Cory speaking to Mercury and I roll my eyes. "Hi, Luci." She greets me excitedly.

"Cory." I greet back, placing a chaste kiss on her forehead. "We need to get going." I point out and she nods, waving goodbye to a dumbfounded Mercury.

"Oh, Lucifer," Mercury calls and I look back at him. "By the time you get back Pluto and Solar will be here."

"Alright." I shrug and get into the driver's seat of the car, after opening Cory's door. "Are we really going over my case again?"

"Oh, god no, lol, but it was the only excuse I could think of to get you out of the house so we can hang out." She giggles and I shake my head at her, a smirk slipping into my face.

"Let's go to lunch then, my treat." I take us to a nice restaurant and we sit.

"I've never been here before." She whispers, looking at the menu with Italian names, but English descriptions.

"Well, since we are friends now, your life is in my hands. So, don't even try to rescind the offer, because unfortunately you're stuck with me." I tell her dead serious. She locks eyes with me and then nod, telling me she understands what I'm saying.

"Well, what do you recommend?" She looks back at the menu and I do as well.

"Maybe the shrimp pasta in Alfredo sauce, with cheesy garlic bread and a garden salad." I suggest and she nods in approval.

"Can you order it for me please?" I nod, and I tell the waiter our order and for a drink I allow her to have one cocktail and she hums happily as she eats. It's honestly adorable. "Lucifer, thank you for hanging out with me." She murmurs.

"It was my pleasure, Cory. Let's go to the park or something." I tell her, pulling out her chair and helping her out of her chair. We head down to the park, that's only five minutes away.

It's mostly silent, but every now and then we'll stop at a vendor and when Cory's eyes would linger on something for more than a minute I would buy it, despite all the protest she's giving me. "We should get Ice cream." She says excitedly and I tsk.

"That's not how you ask for something, Cory." I look down slightly. When it comes to Cory, it's easy to slip into my dominant persona and she's such a good girl too. It's completely platonic, but it feels nice to have her listen to me, most times.

"Can we get ice cream, please?" Her excitement doesn't die down, even during my reprimanding.

"Of course." We cross the street carefully, and she picks out two different flavors, on a nice waffle cone.

I just pick one flavor, with two scoops of it on a waffle cone as well. "We should head back to the home now. I have to go back to work unfortunately." She sighs and I nod, placing my hand on her head, and steering her away from the guy she almost ran into. I give the man an apologetic gaze and he just shrugs it off.

"Please, pay attention." I beg her. "That's alright, let's walk back to the restaurant." With the bags in hand, we head down to the car and I make sure she's not running into anymore people. I open her door and wait for her to get in, then I get into the driver's seat once again and we're off to the house again.