The traitor

As Jannat entered the room, a sense of unease washed over me. "Young miss, young miss, it's time for your medicine," she uttered in a hushed tone, her words laced with urgency.

"Medicine? What medicine?" I queried, my confusion evident. Never before had there been any mention of Villainess Helen falling ill. Something was amiss, and I could feel it deep within.

The maid appeared flustered, her fingers trembling with anxiety. The air around us grew heavy, the weight of my presence now more intimidating than ever. I spoke, my voice low yet commanding, demanding answers.

"Young miss, you usually consume this medicine to replenish your energy, as your body is weak," Jannat finally revealed, her voice almost a whisper. A flicker of doubt danced in her eyes, a hesitation that did not go unnoticed.

Questions raced through my mind as I contemplated the situation. Did I truly require such medicine? Was my body truly weaker than that of other noble ladies? And why had this information been kept hidden from me until now?

Fixing my gaze upon the maid, I stared into her eyes with an intensity that conveyed both authority and suspicion. She stood before me, holding a glass bowl filled with a concoction of various herbs. The mixture, a repulsive shade of brown, failed to entice the senses. It appeared far from appetizing.

With a sense of resolve, I extended my hand towards Jannat, my voice firm and resolute. "This body may be weak, but bring me the medicine," I commanded, accepting my fate with reluctant acquiescence.

Jannat moved closer, her hands trembling slightly, and presented the vessel containing the vile-looking medicine. As the glass neared my face, a pungent aroma assaulted my senses. I sniffed cautiously, my mind racing to identify the scent that felt so hauntingly familiar.

And then it hit me-a wave of recognition. Memories flooded my thoughts, fragments of a forgotten mission resurfacing from the depths of my subconscious. This peculiar brew, with its medley of herbs, carried with it a faint but distinct fragrance of Aconitum coreanum-a scent I had encountered before in my clandestine adventures.

My heart quickened its pace, uncertainty mingling with a newfound sense of curiosity. Why was a substance associated with my past now being administered to me? What secrets lay hidden within the depths of this medicinal elixir?

Little did I know, this encounter would mark the beginning of a journey, one that would unravel the mysteries surrounding my fragile body and the darkness that threatened to consume me.
As I gazed upon the repugnant concoction, a chilling realization washed over me. Could this truly be a poison? The very thought sent shockwaves through my mind, challenging my understanding of the situation. Why would someone want to poison a Duke's daughter, the sole heir to his lineage? Was it driven by a lust for power or some sinister ulterior motive that lurked in the shadows?

The implications of this revelation struck me like a bolt of lightning. I, too, was well-versed in the art of poisons, having honed my skills as an assassin. The irony was not lost on me. Why would my own servant bring forth a vessel of poison, disguised as a medicinal drink, to be consumed daily?

Gazing blankly at Jannat, who stood before me, fear etched across her face, I felt an insatiable urge to uncover the truth. Something was amiss, a puzzle waiting to be solved. I concentrated, focusing my thoughts on the state of my own body. And then, it hit me-there was an obstruction, a force within me yearning to break free, but something, something dark and sinister, held it at bay.

"Jannat, who recommended this poison to me?" I demanded, my voice cutting through the tense air. There was a fire in my eyes, a determination to unearth the treachery that surrounded me.

"It...it...it was prescribed by the doctor when you were ten, my lady," Jannat stammered, her words faltering under the weight of her knowledge. Her fear was palpable, a sign that she possessed information crucial to unraveling this twisted web of deceit.

Jannat held the key to my answers. I needed to know what was transpiring behind the scenes, who sought to poison me, and for what sinister purpose. Was this poison responsible for my lack of elemental powers? And, most importantly, who stood to gain from my demise? The questions swirled within me, demanding answers that only the traitor could provide.

With a need to collect my thoughts and formulate a plan, I commanded Jannat with a firm yet icy tone. "Go and prepare breakfast for me. I shall join you shortly." It was clear that Jannat had been ordered to monitor my every consumption, ensuring I drank the poison-laden concoction. But now, her presence only hindered my investigation.

"But, Miss, the medicine..." Jannat hesitated, bound by her obligation to watch me partake in the poison. Yet, I could not allow her to impede my progress any longer. Fixing her with a steely gaze, I made my intentions known. "I shall drink it. You may leave now. I shall join you in due time."

As Jannat reluctantly departed, leaving me alone with my thoughts, I took a moment to steady myself. Determination coursed through my veins. I had to find a way to neutralize the poison that coursed through my body, debilitating my vitality and clotting my blood. It was clear that only a rare and precious herb could offer the antidote I so desperately needed.

"I must seek the aid of acupuncture in secret, to fortify my body and reclaim my strength," I resolved silently. It was imperative that no one discovered my newfound knowledge of the poison that plagued me. The traitor lurked within the manor's walls, and I could not allow them to elude my grasp.

"It will be a challenging endeavor to uncover the identity of the traitor," I mused, my mind already strategizing the path ahead. "But rest assured, no one can escape my relentless pursuit."