Marquesses Selgae!

I was never known for my forgiving nature. A person who dared to cross me, stealing from my possessions, would find it impossible to hold their head high in society. I vowed that those who unjustly blamed Helen—the real Helen—would be compelled to bow before me, offering apologies for every harsh word they had uttered in my direction.

As Clivat sat, bitterly swallowing her pie, an unexpected guest arrived, accompanied by a retinue of servants. It was Marquessess Selgae, the mother of Clivat Selgae—a character rarely mentioned in the original novel. Intriguingly, information about her was scant. Was she a schemer or an indifferent mother? The reasons behind her seemingly minor role in the narrative were concealed within the novel's intricate plot.

The elder Marquessess, adorned with flowing brown locks of hair, exuded elegance and authority even in her mid-forties. Dressed in a plain yet luxurious yellow gown, she walked towards Clivat, her arrival elevating her to the position of the highest authority after myself. Seated next to her daughter, Clivat, she greeted everyone with a smile, her cold yet respectful demeanor creating an air of mystery.

Servants promptly arranged a seat for her in the center, acknowledging her newfound status. As they prepared tea, Madam Selgae spoke with a charming voice, injecting playfulness and warmth into the atmosphere. "Thank you for extending an invitation to this elder in your tea party, young ladies," she expressed before indulging in the aromatic tea and refreshments.

Her speech transformed the tense ambiance that lingered from previous incidents, replacing it with a newfound ease. Clivat, once labeled a mistress, found solace in the presence of her mother, and the dynamics of the gathering shifted into something entirely different.

Marquessess Selgae addressed the gathering, "I did not attend the beginning of my daughter's party, thinking it's best to allow the young ladies to enjoy their gathering with light conversation." In our empire, women of different age groups engage in discussions tailored to their life stages. While those in their thirties often indulge in romantic trends, the more mature ladies focus on societal changes and their children's future partners. This is precisely why nobody questioned her absence from the tea party organized by her  daughter."

"It's fine, my lady. We are delighted that you are here with us now," one of the ladies spoke up, capturing the attention of the assembly. The Marquessess smiled and inquired, "So, how is the party going? Are all the young ladies enjoying themselves?"

Before anyone could respond, her gaze fixed upon mine, anticipating my reply.

Why would someone who clearly knew of my relationship with her daughter inquire about my enjoyment of the party? "This must be the first time, Lady Helen, that you find yourself in the greenhouse gifted to Clivat by my husband. How is it? Are you enjoying the scents and fragrances emitted from the flowers?" the Marquessess added sarcastically.

"The garden is undoubtedly beautiful, Lady Selgae, and I am enjoying the party. However, isn't it rude for you not to greet a duke's daughter?" I questioned the Marquessess, feeling taken for granted and ignored. Did she believe I would silently endure her rude remarks and twisted words, as the real Helen had?

"Oh my, it was ignorance on my part, My Lady. I thought I could consider you as my daughter, given your similar ages. I may have become a bit too frank with you without considering your position, My Lady," the Marquessess skillfully shifted the blame onto me, insinuating that I was being too formal and critical of someone who could be my mother's contemporary. Unwilling to engage in her manipulative drama, I had no intention of convincing the crowd of my innocence.

"You are right; I would prefer us to maintain a strictly official relationship. I won't be accepting any friendly gestures from the family that led to the separation between me and my fiancé." The shock on everyone's faces was palpable; no one anticipated my directness toward an elder lady, holding her accountable for failing to observe the basic etiquette of greeting someone in a higher position.

Gritting her teeth, the Marquess covered her face with a fan, a cold smile on her lips as she spoke, "I will be more careful from next time, my lady." Did they expect me to silently accept their verbal attacks? How did she conveniently enter the party just as Clivat faced accusations of an affair with an engaged man? Did the Marquess and Marquessess have servants reporting every detail to them? As these thoughts raced through my mind, the Marquessess's voice once again interrupted me, "So, my ladies, are you enjoying this gathering?" Some ladies praised the event, impressing the Marquessess with nectar-like praises. Half lauded Clivat for skillfully managing the party, while the other half praised the greenhouse and the Marquess's love for his daughter. When all the chatter died down, eyes turned to me for my opinion.

"The party is indeed enjoyable. Thank you for inviting me, Miss Clivat. I genuinely congratulate you," I said with a smile, glancing toward Clivat, who now seemed more comfortable in the presence of her mother. Would my life be more secure and comforting if I had a mother to support me? I wondered. Even in my previous life, I never experienced motherly love, but now I at least have a father who loves and cherishes me. "Hahaha, yes, I am proud of you, my daughter," Madam Selgae appreciated Clivat by gently patting her hand. It was a display of motherly affection in front of the guests, showcasing Heroine Clivat's wonderful and loving parents. Once they heard me praising the garden and party, their interest in my opinion waned. The talks continued, laughter filled the air, and the aroma of tea lingered.

As evening approached and the sky turned orange with the setting sun, the strong fragrance of the flowers began to affect me. I could no longer sit still, now dealing with headaches. Some ladies continued chatting while others took a stroll around the gardens. Standing up, I took a walk around the greenhouse. The flowers were truly beautiful and rare, emitting strong scents. The exotic fruits hung from large trees, forming a canopy over the roof.

Lily, walking with me, became concerned about my health as I visibly struggled with the scents. As an assassin, I could distinguish many scents, and being in an area with a mixture of strong scents for hours stressed my nerves. Lily whispered into my ears, "My lady, how about we leave? It's already getting dark."

Typically, any party hosted after noon concluded with a light dinner. There were never issues with venue lighting, as nobles used lights charged with elemental powers. The greenhouse was adorned with beautiful yellow lights, casting a captivating glow over the surroundings.

"Yes, Lily, please inform the Marquessess, and let's leave," I instructed Lily to prepare for our departure.

I approached the Marquessess, who was engaged in conversation with Clivat and other ladies. "Madam Selgae, I regret to inform you that I'll be leaving the party as I am feeling a bit under the weather," I spoke with a smile.

Saying my goodbyes didn't take long, as there seemed to be no one truly desiring my presence at the gathering. As I made my way to leave, Clivat stopped me and expressed, "Thank you for attending the party, my lady. Despite our few conflicts, I truly enjoyed your company." I marveled at how someone seemingly uncomfortable with my presence could lie so convincingly with an innocent face. Clivat was indeed a talented actress.

"Of course, Miss Clivat. I too enjoyed the party. I hope we meet again soon," I replied as I turned to depart.

"I will write you letters, My Lady!" Clivat shouted, portraying herself as a kind-hearted angel ready to build a friendship with a lady who had caused her distress.

Exiting the greenhouse, I was guided by the main butler and maids to the gates, where Lusav patiently awaited. Spotting me, he rushed forward to escort me to the carriage. Once again breathing in the fresh air, I began to feel better.