A contract formed

Being in the depths of water is always calming, and I felt the same calmness staring into the jewel. Well, other than that unusual calmness and silence, there was nothing different. I tried to rub the ring, wear it, and sprinkle water on it to see whether there would be any mysterious reactions.I was expecting some miracle to happen. My actions were based on the words I heard from the shopkeeper who had appreciated me for being the ring's owner.

"Heh, what am I even expecting by rubbing a ring?" I felt disappointment in the emptiness I experienced when nothing happened. It was time to check the next item. The unknown book with an unknown language. I placed the ring aside and took the thick book out. Just like before, I did not understand a single letter written on it. The language was odd and looked like elaborate cursive letters. The only words I remembered about the book were the three names granny read to me, from which I should choose one: Balnauras, Sylphior, and Custard.

Thinking about custard, made my tummy growl.
"Aah, custard. I am craving some sweets," I muttered. "Should I call Lusav and tell him to bring me some sweets now? Custard will be perfect for my craving! I should tell him to add apples into my custard to make it perfec..." Before I could complete my sentence, 'poof,' smoke in front of my eyes covered my vision. It was thick white smoke but smelled like jasmine. The pleasant smell calmed my nerves as well as my cravings for sweets.

[Well, a sweet smell makes people happy, just based on my experience as an author.]

Before I could speak, the smoke started to clear out, and I could see something flying in front of me. I could hear two tiny little wings flapping and see a horn between its shiny purple eyes. What I couldn't believe my eyes was that a mystical unicorn was right in front of me, flying in mid-air. It was hardly five inches and had a white body with pink hair on its back.

"Wow, Mama! You look like a perfect bite-size cotton candy. Should I just bite you? How cute!" I exclaimed in excitement and thrill. Unicorns were only myths in children's storybooks, but they were mythical gods in this nation. They were symbols of knowledge and purity.

"What? You...you human! How dare you think about eating me?" A small shrill voice shouted. It was the unicorn who was angered because of being called cute. It continued, "I am the all-knowing holy beast. How dare you insult this heavenly body by calling me cute? Hmph."

God, its voice was like that of a toddler who still did not have all its teeth. "Ahh, baby, I should just eat you," I muttered, raising my eyebrows. It was fun to watch the animal getting all red in anger. More than being surprised, I felt happiness in my heart. I did not know the reason for my behavior; it was very unlike my usual self. Once I calmed down, I asked in a low voice, "Who are you? Where are you from?"

It replied in its baby voice, "I am the great Custard." Pfft, I couldn't control my laughter. Custard? The name of a mythical creature known for its knowledge. It glared at me with its purple jeweled eyes. I smiled back and spoke, "I see, Custard. So why are you here?"

"Hmph, human. I will tell you, be patient." I was already at my maximum patience. If Custard was not cute and intriguing, I would have crushed it with my arms. It continued, "I am the owner of this book, and now I am going to sign a contract with you, as you have successfully summoned me," Custard declared proudly.

"Summoned?" I said, puzzled.

"Did you not passionately call my name thrice?" Custard replied.
"Heh."

"Ahh, I see. I did passionately think about eating custard," I chuckled.

"Hmph, lucky for you, human. If you had called any other names even once, I would have never come to you," Custard said, acting arrogantly.

"Tell me your name, and a contract between us shall be made. I will give you entry to my world of knowledge and teach you every single piece of information you need. You need not worry about how much you can grasp and understand, as once we are contracted, my knowledge is yours," Custard offered, tempting me.

It was a very tempting offer, and as a person who loved to take risks, there was nothing for me to consider.

"I accept. My name is Helen," I spoke confidently, looking into its eyes, which were mesmerizing and calming.

"The contract is formed, my master," Custard announced. From now on, I was Custard's master, the master of knowledge. This was an unexpected gain I received while visiting the village. Who would have thought I would acquire my own private library of texts from ancient periods to the present, just by purchasing a single dusty book from an old, torn-down shop?

Custard looked at me, and after a minute, he spoke. "Hmm, you are strong. I can take you to my space of knowledge if you are willing."

I couldn't wait any longer. I was already prepared for my next adventure (a mind adventure).

"Yes, Custard. I am willing to explore the sea of knowledge you have collected until now," I nodded and accepted his offer.

Before I knew it, I was surrounded by blinding light. A voice spoke to me from behind.

"Don't open your eyes. Walk ahead until I tell you to stop. Trust in me, your contractor," Custard's voice reassured me. Without thinking twice, I knew it was Custard speaking.

I closed my eyes and followed his instructions, walking along a path that felt never-ending. It was a path that had to be traversed based solely on the trust between me and Custard.

[Let us consider Custard as male, because Helen had more male subordinates and was always comfortable with them. Although Helen did have a few female subordinates, it doesn't matter. Anyway, I can't spoil the reason why Custard is male, but he is male because of the future storyline.]