The curse

"My lady, it appears that this man here has been cursed. If he were to betray his master, he would start spitting blood and eventually meet his demise. Such a curse can only be the work of those practicing the dark arts," Lusav informed Helen.

A mischievous smirk graced Helen's lips as she responded, "Ah, so there is someone skilled in the ways of evil magic targeting me? This promises to be an entertaining and lengthy journey."

Helen locked her gaze onto Lusav, staring deeply into his eyes. Lusav blushed, taken aback by the intensity of her gaze. "My dear Lusav, you looked truly magnificent as you descended from the sky," Helen complimented him.

Upon hearing his beloved lady's words, Lusav blushed even harder, his heart swelling with joy.

Helen then instructed Lusav to take charge of the carriage and directed the others who had followed him to clean up the corpses left behind. However, despite their efforts, the mysterious horseman remained elusive and couldn't be found.

Lusav dutifully escorted Helen into the carriage and skillfully guided the horses towards the imperial palace. Though once a slave, Lusav possessed exceptional equestrian skills, ensuring a smooth journey.

---------------------------

As Helen sat inside the carriage, she delved into deep contemplation. She attempted to piece together all the clues and circumstances surrounding her predicament:

- Helen had been poisoned since childhood.
- Her maid had been a spy.
- The mastermind behind the poisoning had infiltrated other spies in the Duke's mansion.
- Helen's fiancé showed no desire to marry her.
- Clivat, her original love rival, played a significant role.
- The Empress delighted in the spectacle of two women fighting for her son's affections.
- Duke Mackil, Helen's father, cherished her deeply.
- Similarly, Marquess Silgae held strong affection for his daughter.
- The identity of Helen's mother remained a secret.
- Marquess Silgae's wife seldom attended social gatherings.
- There was an evil magic user targeting Helen.
- Duke Carters displayed an unusual interest in Helen's affairs.

Who held the greatest desire to harm her? And what could they possibly gain from it?

These questions swirled in Helen's mind, causing her great confusion.

---------------------------

[Scene Change]

The horseman, bribed to transport the Duke's daughter, never anticipated an assassination attempt on her life. He had merely sought financial gain. In the midst of the chaos, he quickly fled the carriage, finding refuge within an open post box. From his hiding spot, he observed the bloodshed unfold.

As Helen ordered a search for the horseman, he held his breath, fearing discovery. Once the carriage departed, he seized the opportunity to escape, running as fast as his legs could carry him.

Suddenly, a masked figure emerged and kidnapped the horseman, ensuring he wouldn't reveal any information.