A growing loyalty or obsession?

Walking through the hallway, the clip-clop of my heels filled the silence that persisted between Lusav and me. As we arrived in front of the vast door opening towards the dining room, Lusav spoke.

"My lady, the Duke is already here and waiting for you to have dinner together."

"I see," I spoke and entered the room while the servants opened the door for me, and Lusav waited on me.

"Greetings, father. How have you been?" I bowed in respect. Instead of the sturdy voice of one of the only two Dukes of the Empire, I heard the whimpering voice of a father who missed his daughter.

"My child, come to me. It's been so long since we met. How have you been? This daddy missed you a lot. I was thinking about you every moment." The voice held a hint of concern and lots of love. It melted my heart within an instance.

I walked toward him, sat on the chair closest to him, and smiled, "Daddy, I missed you too. I am really happy to be finally back home." It was the reunion of father and daughter. There were no questions about my whereabouts as Father did not want to pressure me with his concerns. He knew I would bring up that topic if I really wanted to. He somehow understood me even though I am not the soul of his original daughter.

I dismissed the servants who waited on us, including Lusav, and had a hearty meal with my dad. We spoke about how his days were all lonely without me. As the conversation proceeded, it came to the invitation sent by my rival, the daughter of Marquess Selgae. But is Clivat Selgae really qualified enough to be called my rival? Isn't the purpose of her whole life to act as a heroine and to love the prince until her death? While my purpose is nothing but to live for myself and die when I want to. Though the original story was designed to make us rivals, now it is no more valid as I am going to change the novel.

Dad said, "Dear, that girl has sent an invitation to you for her tea party held in the greenhouse that was gifted by the Marquess. Do you want to attend? You don't have to if you don't want to. No one will dare to reprimand you as you are the only heir to my Dukedom, and if you want, I can build for you greenhouses larger than those. You just need to say a word." His eyes held a cold and stern expression. He was ready to do anything for his only child.

But for me, neither the large greenhouse nor the ladies who supported Clivat stood as threats. I smiled, held my dad's hand to assure him, and said, "Don't worry, Daddy. I can handle this tea party myself. I would also like to go between the prey that acts like hunters just to cover their cowardice behind the crowd. A hunter like me doesn't have to rely on hunting dogs if I have my own set of skills. I will thoroughly go and enjoy the tea party they are preparing for me." I was ready to face any peril that the novel, as well as the heroine of the novel, would throw at me. Why be scared when you can just solve them using your brain and power.

Dad sighed, "Fine, do as you wish, but take two bodyguards, and if they don't allow men into the garden, then let Lusav stand just outside. Soon I will try to find a reliable lady knight to protect you." A father's worry never ceases to end. I assured him repeatedly until he completed his meal.

After our dinner, we wished good night and left to our own rooms. It was already late night. Lusav was standing behind the door even though I had dismissed him before. Seeing me walking out, he lent his hand to escort me to my room. I held onto him and asked, "Lusav, where did you learn such noble etiquettes from?"

He blushed and answered in a low, gentle voice, "My lady, I have been reading books about etiquettes and observing the guests that come to our mall."

"Oh my, you are improving in every aspect. I can feel your strength just by standing next to you. You don't have to force yourself to learn new things so fast." I patted his head to compliment his efforts. His blonde hair was soft and shined like the dawn sunlight under the dim hallway light. His blue eyes sparkled, while his cheeks were red and blushing to the compliments made by his master. He spoke, "My lady, I want to be a perfect person when I stand next to you, and for that, I will always try my hardest. It brings me joy." I had nothing more to say to him as he looked determined to be a perfect person. His eyes filled with determination looked like they could pierce daggers into my soul if I wavered even a bit.

As we approached the door, he spoke again, "My master, please stay safe, even though you are strong. Don't do dangerous deeds. Use me for them; I am willing to die for you."

"Haaah," I sighed. I flicked his forehead and glared at him, pinching his ears. "You think you are a useless thing that I would use for any work? You are my precious Lusav, whom I named. Don't underestimate yourself, and even though being loyal is good, don't undervalue yourself. Do you understand? If you don't, I won't release your ear."

"Aahhhh, I... I understand, master. I won't speak such words again. It tickles." He spoke, blushing.

"What? It tickles? It tickles when I pinch you? Are you serious?" I was bewildered by how my serious punishment on him became just a tickling sensation to him. I loosened his ear and said, "Go sleep. We have lots of things to discuss tomorrow. I am tired now. Let me rest."

"Yes, my lady." Lusav stood, not moving an inch.

"What?" I asked.

"Please rest, my lady. I will guard you while you sleep." He spoke proudly with a hint of shyness.

"Are you finally gone crazy?" I was at my limit now. How could a person be so unbothered about himself? Though I knew he was concerned, it felt annoying not to be able to exert my power on him. I said, "Just go to your room and sleep. Also, eat before you sleep."

"But," he tried to make an excuse.

Hehee, this time I wouldn't lose. I did not allow him to complete. I spoke again, "Okay, good night. It is my order to go sleep in your room and only come out from your room after seven hours of sleep at least."

I banged shut my door before he could respond. I could see my bed calling for me. I rushed to my bed and leaped onto it for the comfort I was longing for. The comfort of deep sleep. I never knew how deep Lusav's affection for me was growing until it became too late.

Lusav who got shut out and was ordered by his master to go and sleep mumbled to himself "I don't want to leave your side even for a moment. The sound of your breath is a comfort to me, and the breeze that blows when you are present becomes a warm embrace. I will devote myself and listen to you until you chase me away. You are my only light, Miss Helen."