A fragrant tea party

The scorching sun, which had been directly overhead, now gracefully descended towards the western horizon. As I gazed upward, the sky retained its bright blue hue, casting a serene ambiance. The clock marked the hour at nearly four in the afternoon, as per modern time. A grand, well-decorated carriage, adorned in white and blue, awaited my presence in front of the castle door. Two horses with white manes, exuding an air of elegance, were harnessed to it.

Lusav, with a demeanor distinct from the typical slave, assisted me into the carriage. His act of holding my hand, unconventional for a slave, bore testament to his significance in my life, surpassing the bounds of servitude. Once settled, Lusav, without awareness of my concealed plans, took his place beside the carriage driver. Simultaneously, a servant approached with a horse boasting a black mane resembling the night sky, its silver eyelashes adding to its allure.

Glancing out the carriage window, I swiftly commanded Lusav before any contemplation could cross his mind, "It's yours; treat it well. This is my gift to you." The surprise on his face was palpable. The horse, meticulously tamed by me after acquiring it from an international trading market, stood as one of the finest, excelling in both speed and physique. Bestowing it upon Lusav served the purpose of having a reliable aide who could reach me swiftly, unburdened by the need for transporting goods. Retaining my composure, I reclined in my seat without probing further into Lusav's sentiments about the gift, but the faint expression of gratitude in his muttered "thank you" did not escape my notice.

The carriage set off at a steady pace, the rhythmic galloping of Lusav's horse trailing closely behind. Ever vigilant, Lusav remained prepared to shield me from any potential harm, his wariness rooted in the memory of a past assassination attempt during my journey to the palace. After nearly a quarter of an hour, we arrived at the venue for the evening's festivities-the greenhouse of the evening's protagonist, Miss Clivat.

Once again, I was graciously assisted from the carriage by my butler, Lusav. The ambiance exuded tranquility, with the guards permitting my entry through the manor gates upon recognizing the Mackil dukedom's emblem. Stepping out before the castle doors, the expansive Selgae family manor unfolded before me, surrounded by lush gardens on all four sides. Both the castle gates and manor door, colored in resplendent gold, reflected opulence, though it paled in comparison to the grandeur of the royal palace. The meticulous care bestowed upon the gardens permeated the air with an intoxicating fragrance of diverse flowers, the sweetness almost palpable. Welcomed by the mansion's butler, as Miss Clivat was preoccupied with entertaining her guests, the stage was set for the evening's unfolding events.

I was escorted towards the greenhouse, the chosen venue for the party. It was evident that the greenhouse was selected to showcase the gift the Marquess had bestowed upon Clivat. The journey towards it felt lengthy, marked by the rhythmic clip-clops of my pointed heels. Upon reaching the large greenhouse doors, the butler respectfully conveyed, "My Lady, your male companion is not allowed to enter the party venue. This gathering is organized for ladies, and no male companions are permitted for the safety of all present."

Regrettably, I had no choice but to leave Lusav standing outside. His dissatisfaction at not being able to accompany his master into a place filled with uncertainties was clearly visible. For real Helen, social events were seldom occasions of enjoyment, as criticism often followed the so-called villainess. This time, with Clivat, who was (or perhaps, was) perceived as an angel, hosting the party, the atmosphere promised to be even more tumultuous. He reluctantly waited outside as I entered the party with a new companion-none other than Lily, the new maid in whom I had placed partial trust. She had accompanied me in the carriage to the tea party.

Upon entering the party, I observed a petite figure rushing towards the entrance, followed by other luxuriously adorned ladies. As they approached, it became clear-it was Clivat, accompanied by other nobles. Some were curious to catch a glimpse of the infamous villainess who had recently broken off her engagement, while others were there to support the naive Clivat and shield her from the perceived villainess, Helen. Despite being prepared for the challenges ahead, I first took a moment to appreciate the grand greenhouse adorned with colorful flowers and exotic fruits.

Lost in admiration, I was interrupted by a sweet voice, "Greetings, my lady. It's my honor to have you at my little tea party." Clivat greeted me with an elegant curtsey, resembling a pure lily flower in her white dress and pink jewel accessories. "An angel?" would be the initial thought of anyone witnessing the innocence emanating from her small face adorned with braided brown hair and tiny flower-like jewelry.

"Greetings, Miss Clivat. It's my honor to attend your party. I hope we have a good time tonight."

"Greeting, My Lady," a voice from behind interrupted us. I had never seen the face of the lady who greeted me before. Was she someone of importance? I questioned myself. The lady continued, "I am Anna Sorona, the daughter of Count Sorona." I hadn't even heard the family name Sorona before, deeming her unimportant in the novel's progression. "Nice to meet you, Miss Sorona," I smiled.

As the daughter of the Duke, I bowed to no one other than the imperial family, and the same applied to titles-everyone under me should address me as "My Lady." As the heir to the dukedom, I need not address others in such a manner. This was the etiquette followed by the empire.

The beginning of the party was indeed pleasant, surrounded by laughter and sweet talks of young girls. A hot cup of sweet tea was served with sweets and biscuits, and the table was filled with different cakes and fruits. The scent of flowers enveloped the area, and the maids of House Selgae stood beside the table, assisting the ladies and serving refreshments.

The discussions revolved around the beauty of the greenhouse. I concurred with them-though the flowers emitted a strong fragrance, they were undeniably beautiful and exotic. It was undoubtedly one of the best gifts that someone could give to a person who cherished plants. It underscored how dearly the Marquess held Clivat in his heart.

As the conversations held little interest for me, I checked around to find Lily patiently waiting for me near the table where other maids stood alongside their mistresses. The party was proceeding smoothly until someone started discussing men. It was not difficult to guess who the first man the young noble ladies would mention was. Yes, it was the Crown Prince-the man with whom I had recently annulled my engagement and the man with whom Clivat was rumored to have an affair.

A young lady, who appeared barely in her sixteens, spoke up, "Miss Clivat, are the rumors we hear true?" Clivat, puzzled, inquired, "Rumors? What rumors, Miss Jennifer?" Jennifer, the daughter of a collateral house related to one of the Marquess houses, blushed and stammered, "About you, Miss Clivat, becoming the next Crown Princess."

A sudden silence fell upon the gathering. The naive girl who had just entered the social circles and had yet to debut seemed oblivious to the complex history between me and Clivat. She had unknowingly touched upon a sensitive topic-the taboo of mentioning the potential engagement between Clivat and the Crown Prince in front of me, the Crown Prince's ex-fiancée. For her, this was a romantic story unfolding between the famous Crown Prince and the angelic Clivat.