Reason for annulment

Walking towards the main palace, the Crown Prince tightly grasped Helen's hand, his voice filled with desperation. "Helen, what do you plan to do? I know you're only pretending not to love me anymore, but I've made it clear that I'll never accept you as my lover."

Helen gently withdrew her hand, a disdainful smile tugging at her lips. "Your lover?" she scoffed. "I'd rather spend the rest of my life single than be your wife."

The Crown Prince's anger flared, his teeth clenched in frustration. "You... you should never come begging to me again," he seethed.

-----------------------

The grand doors swung open, announcing the arrival of the Imperial Crown Prince and Miss Helen Mackil. The vast room extended before them, leading to a resplendent throne adorned with gilded accents. Seated upon it was His Majesty, an imposing figure in his late fifties, his demeanor as cold as ice.

"Greetings to the sun of our great nation," Helen respectfully greeted His Majesty, her voice carrying a hint of reverence.

"Greeting, Father, Your Majesty," the Crown Prince echoed, bowing before his father.

"I did not summon you. Why have you come?" His Majesty questioned the Crown Prince with a tone of annoyance.

"Your Majesty, I am merely accompanying Miss Helen," the prince replied, his head bowed in deference.

The emperor sighed, resigning himself to the situation. "Very well, it's good that the Crown Prince is also present."

His gaze shifted to Helen, and he spoke directly to her. "Duke Mackil has presented a proposal for the annulment of your engagement to the Crown Prince. I have decided to honor your wishes, Miss Helen. What is your opinion on this matter?"

"Thank you, Your Majesty, for considering my opinion. I will follow my father's plan and proceed with the annulment of this engagement," Helen responded, her voice soft yet resolute.

"Are you truly accepting the proposal for annulment? Is there a reason for your sudden change of mind?" the emperor inquired, his curiosity evident.

Helen smiled, her eyes gleaming with determination. She explained that she wished to avoid becoming the subject of rumors and being trapped in a loveless marriage. Moreover, she didn't want to come between two individuals who had professed their love for each other.

The emperor's gaze shifted to the Crown Prince, a cold smile playing on his lips. "Dear Helen, I have known you since your youth, and I am aware of your deep affection for the Crown Prince. That is precisely why I initiated this engagement plan. However, while others may not practice polygamy, the situation is different for an emperor. In order to secure the throne, an emperor may have both an empress and concubines simultaneously."

He made a promise to Helen, ensuring that the only person the Crown Prince would marry and elevate to the position of empress would be Helen of the Mackil Dukedom. He reassured her that she needn't worry about the rumors circulating, but she would be required to accept another lady as a concubine once the Crown Prince ascended to the throne.

Helen glanced at her father, who smiled and signaled his support. Speaking with determination, she addressed the emperor, "Your Majesty, I understand the necessity for an emperor to maintain the throne, even at the risk of wars and the need for heirs. However, I do not wish to share my husband's love and affection with another woman. Even if others consider me selfish, I desire my husband's love and care exclusively for myself. As the future emperor, the Crown Prince cannot fulfill such selfish desires."
Helen declared firmly, "I will withdraw from this engagement."

The emperor's hands tightened on the armrest of his throne as he glared at the Crown Prince, awaiting his response. "What is your opinion on this matter?" he demanded.

Blinded by his love for Clivat and his deep-seated resentment towards Helen, the Crown Prince reluctantly uttered, "I, too, accept the proposal for the annulment of our engagement."

Furrowing his brows in frustration, the emperor let out a heavy sigh. "Very well. I will sign the documents of annulment and declare that Crown Prince William and Miss Helen Mackil are no longer engaged."

------------------------------

Emperor's point of view: My elder son is blinded by love and fails to consider the advantages of marrying the heir to the Mackil Dukedom. Meanwhile, my second son lacks the necessary Light elemental power to inherit the throne. What am I to do with them?

Perhaps I should encourage my second son to court Miss Helen. He possesses a deep understanding of the importance of family names and is not swayed by love or hatred.