Helen's doubts

Helen approached the waiting carriage, and inside sat the Duke, his presence commanding the space. Lusav, ever loyal, aided Helen into the carriage before taking his place atop the horseman seat.

Curiosity evident in his eyes, the Duke inquired about Clivat's words. Helen spoke softly, her voice laced with a mix of weariness and relief, "Father, Clivat came to apologize for her role in the dissolution of our engagement. She expressed a desire to extend an invitation to her tea party."

A cold edge crept into the Duke's voice as he responded, "Apologies hold little weight when one's actions belie their words. Does she truly believe us all to be fools?"

Helen, ever compassionate, urged her father to consider Clivat's true worth, saying, "Father, it is unwise to harbor anger toward someone as insignificant as her. Does she truly warrant such emotional investment? Besides, is it not a blessing that the conniving prince and that girl who fancies herself an angel are now paired together?"

The Duke conceded, acknowledging the silver lining, "Indeed, my dear. It is a fortuitous turn of events that you are free from such an engagement and spared from the company of a Crown Prince."

A smile graced Helen's lips momentarily, but soon her expression grew serious as she confided in her father, "However, Father, there was something amiss about Clivat. I sensed a dark undercurrent of magic within her, something deeply unsettling. She mentioned that her feelings for the Prince were beyond her control, and before she realized it, they had grown... like a 'CURSE'!"

Perplexed, the Duke questioned, "What do you mean, my dear child? Surely it was mere intuition. How could someone curse the daughter of a Marquess? Why would anyone even attempt such a thing?"

But Helen's conviction remained unshaken, for she knew there was more to the story. However, she withheld the knowledge of her newfound elemental powers, desiring to keep it a secret shared only between herself and Lusav. She understood that revealing her abilities would lead the Duke to take drastic measures, possibly exposing them to their enemies and jeopardizing their safety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Dukedom of Carter]

Duke Carter prepared himself for a monster subjugation mission, as it had been three months since the breeding season began. His loyal assistant, James, along with the knights, made the necessary arrangements. Despite his disinterest in politics, Duke Carter supported Prince Albert, the second prince, while harboring reservations about the Crown Prince.

Duke Carter, a man who believed that being a mere light elementalist did not automatically qualify one for the throne, had a few spies positioned within the palace.

A carrier pigeon arrived, delivering a message that declared, "The engagement between Helen Mackil and the Crown Prince will soon be officially dissolved."