Unraveling Helen's Unexpected Smile

The carriage glided slowly toward the imperial palace, its grandeur unrivaled. Magnificent walls adorned with gilded accents surrounded the palace, while a resplendent garden boasted an array of vibrant flowers, numbering in the hundreds, each more enchanting than the last.

With graceful poise, I alighted from the carriage, my eyes fixed upon the majestic palace. In a voice as sweet as honey, I whispered, "Beautiful."

The palace guards, standing sentinel at the gates, guided me to the side palace where the much-anticipated tea party awaited. Lusav, unable to accompany me due to the stringent protocols restricting men from entering the empress's side palace without special permission, bid me farewell.

Clutching the parcel bestowed upon me by Lusav, I entered the tranquil garden of the side palace. My presence exuded elegance, commanding reverence akin to that bestowed upon angels. My steps were light, akin to the whisper of a cool breeze, as my tall and slender figure harmonized seamlessly with the gown I wore. I was the epitome of a refined lady, my eyes brimming with vitality, sparkling like precious rubies. With quiet determination, I made my way towards the party room.

Inside, the other ladies were already assembled. My designated seat was situated next to the empress, a position of utmost honor. Gracefully, I approached the empress and extended my greeting. My voice, icy yet soft and soothing, reverberated through the air, "Greetings to the moon of the Nation. May all the elements bestow their blessings upon you."

The empress smiled warmly and beckoned me to take my seat. "Come, sit, Miss Helen. You look beautiful as always," she remarked.

The seating arrangement was meticulously organized, with the empress seated at the head of the table. I occupied the seat on the empress's right side, while Clivat was seated on her left. The remaining ladies found their places in sequence.

As the ladies settled down, tea was served, and an assortment of snacks adorned the table. Engaging in conversation, the room filled with a pleasant hum. My gaze shifted momentarily to Clivat, who sat across from me. Just as the novel had described, Clivat possessed silky brown hair, fair skin, and an innocent, childlike countenance. To my surprise, Clivat noticed my gaze and responded with a gentle smile. Startled, I swiftly concealed my confusion, allowing a smile of my own to grace my lips. My smile, though gentle, carried an icy veneer.

The room fell into silence as everyone turned their attention to my unexpected display of warmth towards Clivat, my supposed love rival. For me, known as the villainess, always tormenting and bullying Clivat, and Clivat, known as the forgiving angel, forever caring for me, this interaction defied expectations. In this rare moment at the tea party, I refrained from causing trouble or displaying my usual fury. Instead, I emanated a calm and composed demeanor, even smiling at Clivat.

Unbeknownst to the others, the empress observed this change in me with dissatisfaction. She yearned to witness my anger, eager to expose my lack of decorum and mock my ill-mannered behavior before the assembled ladies. Frustrated by my failure to conform to her expectations, the empress resolved to provoke me.