Ch 3: Dentist

Rosalia's POV
- September 4th, 6:20 a.m.

Norbrook, Kingston

After I put on my uniform skirt, I walked to Jardani’s bedroom door and it was slightly opened. I knocked on the door before pushing it open. He was standing in front of his full body-length mirror, tucking his T-shirt in his pants.

Talk bout neat!

Talk bout clean nuh!

He turned to me before sitting down at the edge of the bed to put on his shoes. We both decided to wear bank robber leather Clarks today. Mommy was saying something about girls only wearing flat shoes but Daddy said it's okay. I hope so because I don't want to get sent home on my first day.

And I also like wearing sneakers. I occasionally wear flats to school.

"You should have just trimmed," I said to Jardani as I looked at his freshly braided hair.

Mami did that!

"Come outta mi face, Alia." He gently pushed me aside and hissed his teeth.

"You think it's okay to wear your hair like that? They have strict rules, right?" I asked.

"Daddy said the principal already knows and said I should wear a beanie over it while it's groomed properly. Talk bout yuh sneakers weh yah wear," He retorted. I hissed my teeth.

"They said it's okay too, and I looked at their websites and saw a few girls wearing sneakers so that's not a problem. Besides, Mommy knows the principal," I said, folding my arms across our chest.

"Good," He walked over to his dresser, spritzing come of his cologne on.

"Do you think people are going to treat us differently knowing that our parents know people on the school board and the principal? Like some form of privileged kids?" I asked, worriedly.

"Yes, because it's the truth. Maybe some people will mind their business, but some won't. Yuh give a fuck weh people wah think?" He asked, staring at me with a bored expression.

"Yes, I do care. Well, sometimes. Especially if they're older people and I don't want people to treat us differently because of that. Also, we will have the attention because we're also new," I muttered. He walked towards me and placed both hands on my shoulder, keeping me steady.

"Fuck that, anything dem wah seh a fi dem business that. We cya change the fact seh we father a badman nor can we change the fact that people always chat regardless. Yuh might make new friends too," He said.

Maybe.

"Okay." I sigh and unfold my arms.

"You and yuh friend dem been a wear the same uniform. Geneva go St. Andrew High and Malika go St. Hugh's. Only t'ing yuh miss a di frock," He said, laughing.

"Hurry up and come, mi hungry," I said, leaving his room. I walked back into mine to put on my white blouse and tie.

After double-checking, if I had everything, I walked out of my bedroom with my bag strap on one shoulder before heading downstairs behind Jardani. The moment we walked into the kitchen, Daddy leaned up against Mommy, whispering in her ears and she was laughing.

"Every day a di same t'ing. She nah go nuh weh eno badman," Jardani said, scrunching his face in disgust.

"Stay inna yuh lane," Daddy said, waving him off.

Mommy is the only one who respects and cares about what we witnessed between them so she moved away from him. I gave her a once over and smiled. Today she's wearing a navy blue pantsuit and a silver-gray chiffon blouse tucked neatly into her pants. Her hair was straight and pulled back into a near ponytail.