Ch 7: Ambushed

Remi's POV
The Next Morning
September 9th, 11:27 a.m.

Smokey Vale, Kingston

After Miss Cora made breakfast, she was busy cleaning up for my parents' arrival. To give her some space, I went out to the back patio. I gazed at my laptop, editing my essay that was due in a week or so. I want it to be perfect when I send it in, so I'll send it to one of my old teachers to read it before. I finished my tea and smiled as Sandy walked over to me.

I started scratching Sandy's head and sighed. Max joined her shortly after and I played with them for a little while. They were by far the best gift my parents have given me. That was maybe 4 years ago. Although I love them very much, I can't have them in the house. It's not something I practice doing, especially since animals make messes. They are trained but everyone has limits and boundaries have to be set.

While Max lay in front of my feet, Sandy continued to playfully chew my hand and I allowed her to. Tonight, I made plans to stay at Renae's after my parents arrived. I know that when they get here, they will want to spend quality time with me and I don't feel like pretending. I am kinda glad that Simone and I are on bad terms because she would start asking questions I am not going to answer and will only piss me off more.

"Remi, yuh finish?" Ms. Cora called out to me from the patio door. I looked up at her.

"Yeah, yuh can seh that. You finish?" I asked her.

"Yes, them come, yer," She announced, with a smile. I nodded and then she went back inside.

Although she told me that, I am not moving from here. However, I would be a fool to think that they would leave it at that because once my mother knows where I am, she is going to come out here. I sent Max and Sandy aside before going to the pipe to wash my hands so I could finish editing my essay. After turning off my phone last night, I decided I needed to keep myself occupied so that I didn't have to turn it on.

Such B maybe call yuh and yuh nuh know. 

Mi ago malice Rosalia, cause she could a text mi back. Mi know fi fact seh she never did a sleep.

Just as I stuck my AirPods in my ear, I heard my mother's voice. I ignored it, pretending I didn't hear her but of course, that didn't last long when she walked over to where I was. She placed her hand on my shoulder and shook me. I looked up and she had that smile on her face that she usually has when she sees me. All bright and pretty. The kind of smile that made me want to smile too but I don't have the energy to fake another one. 

Not today.

"Oh, My goodness. Why are you getting so tall?" She asked as soon as I stood up, my frame towering over hers.

"Genetics," I answered and she laughed, pulling me down to kiss me on the cheek then her arms wrapped around my neck.

"I missed you so much, Papa." She whispered against my ear then she started to sniffle. I wrapped my arms around her too and sighed.

"Didn't seem like it," I muttered which made her pull away to look at me.

"Why yuh say it like dat? We had—" She started to say but I cut her off.

"Work. Yeah, it has always been that," I said, dropping my hands from around her before sitting back down. She took the seat next to me.

"Okay, I am sorry that we weren't here with you when school reopened," She told me. I hummed and shrugged my shoulders.

"Second time in a row," I reminded her.

She fell silent and I looked at her, probably trying to find the words to butter me up but the lies are unnecessary right now. I'm too numbed to believe them. I can tell she's sorry. When they're sorry. It shows on their faces, but I don't feel apologies or excuses. I'm tired of them.