Ch 27: The Old Flames

Rosalia's POV
Thursday, November 16th

"Mommy, are you sure this will look good on me?" I asked, looking at the wig with the blonde ends.

I don't know if I like it at all.

"Yes, it will. Sit still," She said as she cornrow my natural hair.

"Who is going to do my nails?" I asked her.

"Shanique said you should drop by at 2 p.m. so she can do it," Mommy responded.

"Okay, and what about—" I started but she cut me off.

"Rosalia, please stop with the questions. Everything is already in place," She said. I pressed my lips together and bit down on the inside of my cheek.

We're currently at home and she's putting on a wig she got for me. It's pretty, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it will fit with what I'm wearing this Friday, well tomorrow. That's the day Jardani and I will be celebrating our birthday because if we do it on Sunday, we might be tired for school the next morning.

"Mommy, let's do the black wig please. I don't like this one for the occasion," I told her.

I have a feeling Kassauni is going to take me somewhere afterwards, maybe to dinner. And I don't want to wear that wig. It's just not going to give the vibes I'm looking for. Black looks great with purple, anyway.

After she glued down the wig cap on my head, I went to my room for the black wig and picked up my phone before heading back downstairs.

My phone occupied my time as Mommy glued the wig down and added the lace wig spray before wrapping the band around it. While I was texting Kassauni, I wasn't getting a text back though he's not in class right now. I shook my legs as I tried calling him but he didn't pick up. On the third call, he answered.

"Kassauni, what are you doing?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"Kinda busy right now, Mama. Later we talk," He said.

"So you're too busy to respond to my calls and texts?" I asked, frowning.

"Rosalia," He said in a warning tone.

"Yeah, okay then. Enjoy yuh day," I said before hanging up.

Putting my phone on silent, I set it down on the face on my lap. I ignored Mommy's gaze and shook my legs, waiting for my hair to be finished. Shanique is going to do my nails per my request. Purple medium-length French tips with a little style, no charms. I feel that would be over the top and I'll have to take them off by Sunday night.

When 1 p.m. rolled by, Mommy, Jardani and I were ready and out the door. We're in Mommy's car and Jardani's Range Rover has been at the mechanic since yesterday. I don't know what's wrong with it but Daddy requested he took it there. Maybe something on it needs to be fixed.

As Mommy drove, I opened the pack of Sour Skittles I had brought and started eating it while scrolling through my social media feeds. A message from Kassauni popped up on the screen and I swiped it off before going back to what I was doing. Since he is busy, he can remain busy because right now I am not in the mood.

You're being very hard-headed and selfish.

Di bwoy nuh affi talk to yuh every hour a the day eno...

Ignoring my subconscious, I debated whether or not I should keep my bonnet on my head. It's ghetto to wear it out of the house in the first place, but I also don't want to show my hair until tomorrow at my party. Fixing my purple bonnet on my head, I decided to leave it for now.

Jardani is going to get his hair done too. He wanted invisible locs and I asked him if he planned on locking his hair. The look he gave me made me laugh. His hair is now long enough to do any hairstyle he wants as it's almost past his chin. I swear he's trying to be me so bad.