Ch 17: Nickname Basis

Rèmi’s POV
Thursday afternoon, 2:15 p.m.
October 5th

○●○
Jamaica College

While I was sitting under the gazebo, I used the scissors to cut out the printed information that I had brought today. Ajay was using a T-Square to border the bright orange, cartridge paper. I chose that and blue instead because the two blues would be so plain. Also, blue and orange look good. Sometimes.

"I'm done. Do you want me to so the heading?" Ajay asked me.

"No, me ago do it," I told him. He hummed and set the T-Square aside.

"I think we should give the project in this evening, because I won't be at school tomorrow," He said, timidly.

"Ah." I kept my response short.

Mi nah come either, cause mi have plans with Nathalia. And a one class mi have inna the afternoon and it nuh relevant because me take it last year.

Besides, Talia seh she nah go school tomorrow and she wanted some stuff for herself so I told her I'd go with her since I'm going out with Rosalia the entire day, Saturday.

Nickname basis. Progress, mi G.

Hmm.

He remained quiet and started picking up the pieces of paper, arranging them in order with the topics. I looked over and changed one of the topics since he had it wrong.

"I brought liquid glue. That'll work, right?" He asked, breaking the silence.

"But it just needs a little while longer to dry," He added, picking up the strips of paper.

I wonder if he knows that I'm not too eager to talk to him... He's at least 18 years old, so that question has to be rhetorical. It makes no sense you ask me that when the trust was that it doesn't matter. Originally, I was going to use the stick glue that I brought because that was all Nathalia had at home and I didn't feel like stopping at a bookstore.

When I was finished cutting out the important pieces of information, I put away the scissors and grabbed a blue, fine-point marker to write the heading. As I was writing, Ajay leaned over my shoulder to look at the cartridge paper and I hissed my teeth, using my shoulder to ease him off.

"Spite yah do this fah, don't?" I asked, clenching my jaw.

"Do what?" He asked, confused.

"Stop lean up pan mi, bredgin. Yuh do it aready earlier and mi tell yuh fi stop," I pointed out.

"Sorry, I was just looking. It's not a big deal," He argued, frowning deeply.

"A badword yuh wah mi tell yuh?" I asked, genuinely. He scoffed and folded his arms across his chest.

"For what? I'm just standing here and you're all of a sudden rude. Do you think I like to be paired with someone so ignorant that clearly has anger issues?" He asked and his face started to get red.

A weh di...

"Last time me a tell yuh nuh lean up pan mi, youth. Nuh touch mi at all, mi seh." My voice came out cold and he bit his lip, looking away.