Ch 55: Enjoy Life & Flatline

Author’s Note: Please to read carefully... The Omniscient POV at the end of the chapter is a 15 hour time skip. Also, there are multiple in this chapter. Read carefully.

Rosalia’s POV
Monday, July 15th

PriceSmart, Kingston

9 a.m.

I trailed behind Kassauni as we picked up things to bring to the hospital for Dante. Looking down into the basket, I looked at the list on my phone and ticked the box next to the things we already picked up. 

He picked up three of the 4-cup Jellos and dropped them in the basket. Berry Blue, Orange, and Cherry.

"Baby, remember we should get the fruit juice for him too and coconut water. Your Mom said she's finished with the soup too," I said to him as I read the message his Mom sent me.

"Him supposed to get soft fruits. Wah kind me must get?" He asked, dropping some Aloe Vera drink into the basket before taking it from me.

"Banana, papaya, kiwi and berries. They have fresh fruits in here," I told him as I looped my arm into his.

Today marks one week since Dante has been in the hospital. He woke up the day after his surgery and today is the first Kassauni is going to see him. Ever since we left the hospital after Dante's surgery, he's been awfully quiet and always I gave him a little space to grieve because I didn't want to suffocate him.

On the days I wasn't by his side, I spent with my brother and Alex who are just as bad. Jardani barely spoke and would often sit and stare into space while Alex was fuming. One thing though, Kassauni has been spending a lot of time with his Mom and his aunt. Seeing them grow closer is very nice but I wish it didn't take Jamari dying for that to happen.

It still feels so unreal.

×××

After we got everything we needed in PriceSmart, we paid for them and he drove us back to his house. The gift basket I helped him put together was on the living room table. I added a few more items to it before tying the top of the bag with the other things.

Kassauni was hugging his Mom when I walked into the kitchen. I smiled when he kissed her cheek and then her belly. She laughed and he stood up, grabbing a glass bowl that comes with a plastic cover.

"Wah kinda soup yuh make?" He asked as he rinsed the bowl.

"Pumpkin and split peas. Mi put shredded chicken in there with Irish (potato) and sweet potato since them seh no hard food. Yuh wah me gwaan make the smoothie?" She reached for the blender but he stopped her.

"No, that good. Yuh nuh soon have baby, Mommy? Yuh can barely guh," He said and I folded my lips to stop myself from laughing.

"All yuh foot dem swell. Gwaan guh sit down and remember tomorrow yah turn wah, 39? Yuh nuh feel like yuh supposed to a rest?" He continued and she hissed her teeth before walking away from him.

"Yuh just don't know when fi stop," She said to him.

"Nuh you did a complain 'bout back pain and how yuh cya see yuh foot dem? Mi a tell yuh fi guh sit down and rest because yuh need it." He poured the soup into the bowl and wiped the rim.

"Did you speak to your father today?" She asked, deciding to change the topic.

"Yeah, this morning him call. Why?" He looked at her and closed the bowl.

"He's not answering my calls. I'm going to call him again." She waddled out of the kitchen and pinched my cheek, making me smile.

As she walked out of the kitchen, I went around the counter and picked up a small bowl from the dish-drainer. I held it up to him as he put pieces of fruit into the blender.