Chapter 120-Star Stream Lake Pt.9:Behind the Curtain

Computer dying...MUST POST QUICKLY

The numerous tunnels beneath the snow formed a faded dark world which few ever got to experience. Lineir found himself alone for the most part in the deep bowels of Snowfall Mountains. However, amidst the twisting and turning caverns, he did come across a few strange occurrences. 

shuuuuuu....

The gentle melody of rushing water flowed into Lineir's ears. In the scarce light which filtered down through the snow and ice he saw a graceful half frozen waterfall of epic proportions 100s of meters wide. It was easily comparable to the greatest natural monuments in the Lower Realms and yet existed entirely here beneath the mountain, unseen and untouched by man. Lineir edged closer and the true breathtaking scale of the waterfall gradually came into view as the walls and ceiling of the ice tunnel opened into an expansive cavern through which the water passed through after cresting the top.

SHUAAAAA!!

In this place far from the Heavens, the deluge of crystal clear water beneath the waterfall was the only source of life. Inside glowing fish and other organisms merrily swam in the flow. Some would have fit inside Lineir's outstretched palm and others would have been able to swallow him whole with their giant mouths. They lived their lives in the water, and Lineir could see tributaries of the pool at the bottom of the waterfall flowing off under the ice. These branching rivers carried the wildlife off under Snowfall Mountain and formed an entire ecosystem which may never see direct sunlight!

"How beautiful..." Lineir let out a soft gasp of appreciation. He also shivered. The water was so wide and deep that even though the water was quite clear he could not penetrate into its depths with his eyes. What creatures lurked in the flowing rivers and beneath the icy cavern he could only guess. Keeping a watchful eye on the water's edge he meandered up the river bank while ignoring all the side rivers. The Snow Empress's jade had explicitly stated that he should continue until he reached the base of the giant waterfall itself.

SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAA!!!!

The rushing of the water turned into a roar like that of a legendary beast of old. Lineir's gaze traveled up and up and though he was almost bending over backwards he could not see the top of the falling water from the base. 

"So it's behind this...WHAT?"

He felt a chill creep up his spine as a massive shadow formed in the falling water and shot by into the river. However, though his gaze remained vigilant, the shadow vanished and he gradually untensed as the waterfall gently pulsated. He was about to take a step behind the majestic curtain when echoing whispers reached him. He quickly stepped behind the curtain of water behind the waterfall and listening from behind the falling water. The arcing walls of the cavern made it into a natural sound chamber so he managed to hear a conversation quite clearly despite the roaring water.

"Hahaha! So it's here! That old witch didn't lie!" Lineir pricked his ears as he heard a familiar voice.

"That voice...the Jin clan actually caught up? How can this be? I wasted some time collecting the Yin Qi Water but I have a map. Where could they have obtained the route to the Proving Grounds...unless!" Lineir suddenly had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. His fists clenched as he heard what came next.

"Hahaha, maybe I was a little too harsh on the ole Empress. It's a shame she disappeared, I would have enjoyed playing with her a bit more. Such a proud woman under my feet, what could be better AHAHAHA!" The arrogant voice of Jayi Jin cackled and in the caverns the echoes pressed down upon Lineir like a deluge of drowning water. He felt his blood begin to pound as he grasped what had probably occurred. His Madness eyes activated fortunately before he did anything rash and he instantly became cool and collected as his vision narrowed and his mind attempted to calculate the Jin parties' location through the waterfall curtain.