Chapter 156-Arguments On All Sides

To those of you who have stayed with the story up to chapter 156 and through two books, thank you for reading and commenting and enjoying the journey with me. It's been a wild ride.

"A Cloudsoul Necromorph...what class is that?" Yu asked as Dan pressed his hands to his temples.

"No one knows. They are from ancient times, and information is extremely scant. The only reason I know of them is because of the amount of time I spent in the restricted library. I read many old scrolls there, and a few mentioned them in the passing. I can tell you this though...they are not terribly high level in terms of the laws. Probably about Celestial Pinnacle just like us at most. Thank the Heavens for that too, because any stronger and they would be beyond mortal comprehension. Even still, their sheer size and the fact that they are constructed from Undead mean they can level cities and destroy civilizations. As for killing them? Only our seniors could do such a thing. For us, forget it." 

"What do  you know about them? How sure are you of what you're saying? Are we in danger right now?" Lineir asked many questions. He was very interested in this Cloudsoul Necromorph. It reminded him of the giant Undead Heart he had once seen at the beginning of his journey.

"I think we should be safe down here. These things are lacking in intelligence. However, they will eat anything they spot and consume their bodies adding them to their own mass. When you said it was made out of corpses I immediately suspected this beast as this is the perfect breeding ground for this creature. I just never thought it really existed. Somewhere inside them may be some sort of nucleus or control organ but nobody has ever found it. The real horror of things is not even their size nor the Death Qi winds which constantly swirl around their bodies."

 "What is it then?" Yu's eyes squinted slightly as Dan took a breath.

"It's the plague which they emit. Should one cut off one of the assimilated corpses or even touch somewhere they have walked the scrolls state that mortals will rot on the spot and even strong cultivators will be exposed to a poisonous gas which will eat their soul. Can you imagine? To walk around knowing that your soul is decaying and turning evil. That is what we would face if we were up there. As for Ping and the others? They may have made a grave mistake. I will pray for them tonight."

The group fell silent after that. It was obvious they were not going to go out tonight. The unspoken consensus was that they would check back in the morning. Lineir found himself whiling away the time. He spent it meditating while getting to know the team better.

"What is your homeland like, if you don't mind me asking?" He asked of Dan who replied,

"I don't mind, my homeland is quite famous. You should visit one day if you have the chance. It is a beautiful land filled with verdant forests, hills, grasslands, and flowing rivers. It is known as the Green Sepulcher and is controlled by my sect, the Monks of Ishear. Speak my name and you shall be welcomed as friend no matter if you arrive clothed in golden silk robes or the most worn of rags. Beware however, in order to reach my sect, you will have to travel through war-torn and treacherous lands." Dan described numerous battles and adventures he had had in his youth. He was after all several years older than Lineir and had grown up in the Divine Realms so he had many interesting tales to relate. However Lineir did notice one interesting thing. Dan never talked about the reason he became a monk.

"Alright brother Lineir, I need to check De's arm. Come speak to me again if anything is troubling your mind." He wandered off and grabbed De roughly, muscling the belligerent cultivator down so he could begin to undue the bandage. Lineir sighed roughly. Although all of Dan's tales had been fantastic, and some of the creatures and places he had described were impossible in the mortal realms, they still felt human.