Chapter 122-Snow Stream Lake Pt.11:Surfacing

Thanks to all who are voting, and from anyone who just saw the post in WW forums, please subscribe to my Wattpad so I don't have to post there ;p. Next chapter will be a bit longer and should arrive in 1.5 days or so.

"Something's not right." Lineir had a terrifying premonition of danger. It was impossible to explain, but some part of his body was telling him to hold back.

"Kiddo, attack that water!" Mei suddenly called out and Lineir immediately unleashed a powerful strike infused with the Laws of Lightning.

Lightning Slash!

SHUA!!

The slash traveled into the water and shattered the dark surface away while electrocuting everything nearby. When Lineir saw what had been hiding mere meters away he cried out,

"SON OF A *****!" And recoiled in horror. Lurking in the pit of water was one of the hideous heads of the strange beasts from the waterfall! It released an ear piercing hiss which could perhaps be loosely related to the shrieks of dying infants. It receded into the depths but Lineir was 100% sure that somewhere down in that tunnel, it was watching and waiting for him.

"This water must have come from one of the tributaries below. Now that I think about it, that head looks just like what I saw at Star Stream Lake. Perhaps when I accidentally collapsed the tunnel it broke somewhere beneath and actually tapped into the underground river systems. Maybe these rivers even flow all the way out of the mountains and into Star Stream Lake. But what the hell are these damn things. In the water, only Divine Realm cultivators would stand a chance. For someone like me, I can only pray they stay the hell away from land." He backed away thinking furiously as the shock wore off.

"I can't go back this way. And I dare not take another way without a map. **** that means I have to go back through the Proving Grounds. I need to hurry, who knows what the Jin Clan will do to the Wei girls if those bastards arrive before I do. Fortunately, they have no idea that I have any relation to the Wei girls. They might guess, but I should be able to avoid the worse case hostage scenario. Otherwise I really would be at my wits end!" Lineir turned back around and made for the waterfall again. At the very least, the Wei girls would be safe for some time as the Jin Clan had no idea the reason he intervened was to save them. They probably thought he was also after the Proving Grounds and they would focus their efforts on getting reinforcements to assault the Proving Grounds. This meant there was a window for Lineir! If he could just find his way out of the underground tunnels, head out of the Proving Grounds, and make it back to Snowfall Citadel in time; he might be able to rescue the Wei girls while the Jin Clan was mobilizing their forces to find the Proving Ground!

"Goddamit, I owe the Snow Empress for showing me the location of the Proving Ground, but if I am to intervene and save the girls, I won't even have time to enjoy the Proving Ground! I'll have to head back immediately and come back some other time. Damn kids, they must have snuck out again to try to find more cultivation resources for the Snow Empress." Lineir continued his swearing spree as he hurried back down the tunnels for the third time today. He sprinted to the waterfall and into the hidden cave behind and down without caring for threats. According to the Snow Empress's words, the tunnels were safe enough, it was only in the water that those strange creatures lurked. 

"I need to hurry up and get out of here. Every second I waste increases the chances of something terrible happening. I chose to interfere the first time with the girls, and connect our fates with Karma. And I will see it through!" He steeled himself as suddenly the dark ice tunnel began to slope upward. A bright point of light appeared in the distance as he saw the end of the underground tunnels.

"There! The Proving Grounds are ahead!" 

He burst out of the tunnel and was blinded by light. He was in a large courtyard. It reminded him of the courtyards which mortal monks used to practice martial arts and seek the Dao. If one didn't know they were in the Higher Realms they could almost believe that numerous monk novitiates would come out with staffs, robes, and scripture to begin their morning session. However, today the courtyard was abandoned and Lineir was alone. Suddenly a voice burst out!

"Finally! After all this time a worthy successor to my master's legacy! Come come take the trials!" It boomed across the courtyards but Lineir was unmoved. He politely clasped his hands and bowed having expected this.

"I greet you Estate Spirit. However, this one has pressing matters to attend to. If you would be so kind as to point the way to the exit, this one will definitely return in the future to try his hand at your trials." He politely said. However...the Estate Spirit did something completely out of expectations!

"You don't wish to take the trials my master left behind? You're the first competent contender to enter this estate in thousands of years, you definitely must take them!" The booming voice of the Estate Spirit enthusiastically cried.

"What kind of servant would this one be if he let such talent go! Especially in such a frozen wasteland, it could be several more millennia before I see such talent again! This is a once in a lifetime chance, I absolutely cannot let you leave until you take the trials!" The voice cried and suddenly Lineir began to get a splitting headache as he realized that the spirit might not let him go!

"Are you serious right now?????" He thought and desperately pleaded with the Spirit. "Please sir, it is a matter of grave importance which might even affect my Third Heart in the future. Can you just wait a little bit for me to return?" 

"Hahahaha, the Third Heart at your age is fickle, the passing on of my master's legacy is far more important than some mortal matters. You'll see, when you see what my master has left behind you'll forget all about these so called important matters you have. Alright, no more talk, in to the portal it's time for the trial!"

Without giving Lineir anymore chance to resist, a portal appeared in front of Lineir and the spirit gently but firmly pushed him inside.

"Crap. I guess I have no choice but to complete this damn Estate Spirit's trial. I really hope he let's me go after this."