Chapter 145- The Boiling Pot is Filled

Sorry once again had to go out with the coworkers and was too tired to post. Had to download the app to post this from my phone haha. Anyone else getting tons of rain and slush rnow?

"Mmm?" A medium build youth with heavyset features looked up from the fire. Beside him was a elegant girl with curly hair. As she noticed his haze she unconsciously picked up her weapon, a multicolored short sword.

"What is it Yu?" She asked. He continued gazing off into the distance as the rest of the squad of ten other youths stood up. 

"Is something the matter Yu?" One of them came up and asked. Yu shook his head slightly. He squinted into the distant night, beyond the flames and into the shadows.

"Nothing is the matter. On the contrary the opposite is true. I think we have gained a new ally." He said. Deep in the forest's branches, a spacial portal closed. A disoriented youth landed lightly on his feet, despite having emerged head first. 

"That mother****!" He cursed as he got his bearings. Upon his back were two swords, one a weeping blue katana and the other, a long straight black blade filled with chains of lightning and darkness. As he straightened his robes, something else fell out of the portal and landed on his head!

THWACK

"Oww..." Lineir rubbed his head. From the portal came a voice,

"Kid, I'm impressed. I wasn't going to do this but you might as well have something to study while you're traveling. Consider it a greeting present." The petulant voice of the Bladelord disappeared with the shrinking portal, "In the old days before I was injured, I used this to play in the Higher Realms."

"What is this?" Lineir bent down and picked up the item from the soft forest floor. It was a manuscript covered in immaculate script. The characters were so perfectly formed that it was actually difficult to read as the eyes had to adjust!

Heaven's Edge-Nine Blades Style

The title of the manuscript was surrounded by shimmering runes which twisted and swirled. If anyone who was not the intended reader tried to look at it, all they would see is a slight shimmer in the air. Lineir glanced around the forest and then looked back at the manuscript. It should be safe here since the Bladelord had dropped him off right?

"Heaven's Edge? Nine Blades Style? This can't be the techniques of the Bladelord himself?" Lineir was shocked as opened the yellow pages and flipped through. On each page was not mere words, but runes which moved to combine in intricate ways to beam moving pictures directly into his mind. Each one showed how to execute a different form in perfect clarity. This was far better than most manuals, this was like having an illusory teacher to watch in person!

"Heavens...it really is. I can't believe he just casually handed me this, isn't there usually a process for this kind of thing?!!' Lineir said as his eyes grew wide. However, as he dreamed of unleashing a massive Blade World Domain to dominate his foes he quickly released that there was nothing of that sort in this manuscript!

"Huh? Every single one of these techniques is related to close range combat. As a matter of fact, they are from the same school as the Bladelord's techniques but they are completely different. He didn't use any of these in his fight against the angels." Lineir said as he finished perusing.

"Kiddo, I think the Bladelord is not trying to teach you anymore techniques. At least not how you are thinking of them. If I am correct about his intent then he is actually giving you the opportunity to learn something far more valuable. After all, you already have plenty of techniques, including the ultimate Asura Strike!" Mei said. Lineir was confused,

"Master, what do you mean? This whole manuscript is clearly filled with techniques. Sure they are less intricate from a Qi technique perspective, but what else could they be?" He asked. 

"You are right, they are indeed techniques. However, read the title again. It says Heavens Edge-Nine Blades Style. The last word there is the key. It is a style which the Bladelord is trying to get you to learn not any individual technique. He is very smart, he must have extraordinary insight to so quickly pick up your weaknesses." She said.

"What? Weaknesses?" Lineir was stumped. He had finally found a killing technique, shoring up his weakness of being unable to contend with the higher levels. What was this new weakness?

"It's simple if you think about it. You started training late, and I never had the time or the resources to focus on anything but the techniques you would need to fight against opponents far above your level. This had led to you being a dangerous and unpredictable fighter capable of contending with people who have cultivated the orthodox way, but you lack stability. To put it simply, you do not have the style of a swordsman. This manuscript is designed to teach you a system which will improve your comprehensive attack and defense by giving you a platform of shared techniques which you can chain together to set up your finishing moves. And you need not worry about the Bladelord not using these techniques. I have heard of this Heaven's Edge Style before. It is rumored to be an ancient style of unknown origins. However, there is one thing it is famous for, it is reputed as the number one most dangerous style to practice! It's name derives from the fact that the one who practices it dances upon the edge of Heaven and Hell and with one wrong move could easily cut himself! It is one of the peerless close combat styles which the Bladelord used to rampage through the Divine Realms in his youth. I never thought he would share it with you, but it is definitely worth your time to learn!" Mei was ecstatic though a bit worried. Even though Lineir had demonstrated that he could create miracles time and time again, the Heaven's Edge was reputed to have actually led to several peak geniuses death's in ancient times. 

"Hehe, I'm sure he'll be able to handle it. After all he has the Nine Paths of Asura as his foundation." Mei said, not mentioning her doubts to Lineir. As Lineir digested all of this suddenly a noise came from the quiet forest.

Swooosh Swooosh

Shadows flitted about and a figure landed in front of Lineir. It walked up with a massive broadsword on its back. It was a medium sized youth several years older than Lineir. As Lineir tensed ready to explode into action and ascend to the skies, the youth reached out with his hand. He held it out for a handshake.

"You're Lineir right? Thank you for saving my idiot family!"