T H I R T Y S E V E N

»»——THIRTY SEVEN——««
WELCOME BACK FRIEND

YUGYEOM stood in front of a door with two suitcases in his trembling hands and jelly in his legs. He had been standing in that exact same spot for five minutes, just repeating the words inside of his head to himself and trying to block out the pitiful sobs coming from behind the door that were ripping his heart in two. His best friend was crying and not even a closed door could stop those noises from coming into the hallway.

Yugyeom had no idea how long the older had been crying, but he did know that it had been two hours ago that Youngjae had texted him about Taehyung leaving Jeongguk. Meaning it had been two full hours of a destressed Jeongguk crying his heart out because of some stupid asshole named Youngjae.

Now, Yugyeom couldn't just let that happen. He couldn't let Youngjae's plan just go on like that. So he had taken action.

Youngjae's roommate was supposed to become Jeongguk's new roommate, so that Taehyung could stay with his boyfriend. But since Yugyeom knew that Youngjae's roommate was a crackhead and a sex addict, something he knew Jeongguk wouldn't appreciate that much (especially after losing Taehyung), he made a plan.

He told Youngjae's roommate (who he knew a bit from coming over sometimes) that Youngjae had gotten the dorm number wrong and gave him the right one. The one he gave though was his own room number. That way he got to be Jeongguk's new roommate and Youngjae's roommate would become his old roommate's one. (still following?)

So that's why he was standing with his belongings in front of his ex-best friend's dorm, hoping him becoming Jeongguk's new roommate would sooth the older's wounds a bit, and maybe strengthen the broken bond between them.

With a deep inhale he knocked onto the dorm's door before peeking inside since he didn't really expect a response coming from a crying teen. He had expected to see the dorm in ruins, and Jeongguk being the same. But instead of that, he found his friend lying on his bed, cuddled up into the blankets, with his laptop perched onto his lap and big tears rolling down his cheeks. A tissue box stood on his nightstand and he quickly took one out to blow his nose.

"Yugyeom", the ravenhead pouted, eyelashes wet with tears and eyes slightly red, "The dog died!"

The younger dropped his suitcases as his jaw fell down, "What?"

"I mean- I wouldn't give a flying fuck if the main character died but the fucking dog? She was so cute! What did she ever do wrong except give love to the world?", Jeongguk wailed, dramatically flailing around on the bed.

Yuygyeom didn't understand. Was this the same boy that had encountered Youngjae today and lost his roommate to said guy? He was crying... because of a stupid movie!?

"Aren't you supposed to be like... heartbroken?", the blonde asked. He picked up his suitcases again and threw them on the empty bed that was now his.

Jeongguk looked at him as if he was crazy, "I am heartbroken!"

"No, not because of the fucking dog", Yugyeom sighed with a roll of his eyes, "I mean, because of what happened today".

The ravenhead merely blinked and then let out a low ooh. "Nah, not really", he then replied, surprising the younger, "I mean- don't get me wrong. I was really sad and pissed off. But then I thought about it, and well, I think it'll be alright".

"How so? Youngjae literally became Taehyung's boyfriend to piss you off and then told a bunch of lies about you so Taehyung would start to hate you!", Yugyeom said exasperated.

"That's the thing you see", Jeongguk immediately responded, being the calm one out of the two of them, "His goal was to hurt me through Taehyung – though I have no idea why – and now that he revealed himself as Tae's boyfriend and made the latter hate me, he's reached his goal. So what will follow? He isn't gay so naturally he won't keep up with being Taehyung's boyfriend, meaning he'll have to break Tae's heart and then before you know it Tae will know the truth and come running back with his tail between his legs".

"Except-", the blonde started unsure.

Jeongguk blinked, "Oh god. What?"

"Except Youngjae might really like Taehyung... a bit? I mean- he picked Taehyung because he was attractive, not because he was your roommate. He could have dated anyone else out of your friend group. But Taehyung was gay, available, sweet and apparently had a 'cute ass'. So Youngjae went after him".

"You're kidding me right?", Jeongguk spoke dull, "The one who has been calling me out for being gay – even though I'm not – is gay himself?"

"I wouldn't say gay... more like bi or just experimenting? That's how Youngjae phrased it. Taehyung is his little experiment", Yugyeom explained, "Also, just for the record and to answer your question about why I didn't leave the friend group in the beginning of the semester: I knew Youngjae was planning something evil and I wanted to get as much information before dumping them".

"Fuck that dude", Jeongguk growled, balling his sheets in his hands, "Taehyung told me how much he despised being straight dudes their experiment. He never wanted to fall for a straight one again and look what he did".

"The best hope we have is that Youngjae finds out he isn't into boys and dumps Taehyung".

The raven head nodded and then finally averted his eyes to the other bed where Yugyeom's suitcases were situated, "So you're my new roommate now?"

"If that's okay with you of course", the younger smiled unsure, "It was me or a druggie and I thought that you'd rather have late night talks or a video game buddy instead of burning joints or gangbangs".

"Well... it would make life a lot more interesting", Jeongguk mumbled before he broke out into a grin when he saw the other's unamused face, "Of course I rather have you. One roommate drama was enough for this year".

"And you know that I won't complain about your absurdly big G-Dragon posters on the wall or burning fairy lights at night".

Jeongguk rolled his eyes, "As if you have a problem with my posters. I know you secretly have a crush on him too".

"Hmm maybe", Yugyeom smiled, seeing the boyish smile on Jeongguk's face made him happy. It was as if they were having a sleep over in middle school again, back in the days when their friendship hadn't been tainted by other people yet.

It felt good to be back.

☆━━━━ for reading ━━━━☆