Chapter 43- Is this going to work?

Riley's POV

The cop car had just pulled away but an officer was still talking to the douche bag. I suddenly tasted salt, joy more tears. I laid down on the bed and turned the TV on. I laid down in his spot which smelt like him. I buried my head in his pillow and cuddled it. Why the hell can't we just be happy.

We have barely been here for a week. A fucking week! Everytime someone knocks on the door something happens.

Speaking of the fucking door, someone's banging on it again. I drug myself downstairs and forcefully opened the door. Thank the Lord. It was Shane. "It's late, what are you doing here?" I said but quickly closed my mouth to stop myself from crying. Shane stepped inside and closed the door behind him. "Come here." He pulled me into his arms and hugged me tight.

"Everything was going so good. What happened?" I asked him and we sat down on the couch. "I talked to the police, they are just keeping him over night, no court dates. If you want Victoria and I can stay over." I shook my head. "No its alright. I don't want to stress you guys out. This is between Colton and I." He looked at me for a second. "Your to strong. Everyone tries to help you but you don't want them to." I shrugged. "I dont want to drag people down, I'm done doing that." I took a deep breath and hugged my brother. "I really do appreciate you coming but you should go home." He gave me a soft smile and rubbed my arm. "Night sis." He kissed my forehead and walked out the front door.

I sat down on the couch and ran my hand through my hair. I turned the TV on and pulled my knees up to my chest. I miss him but he was stupid for starting that fight. I know he was doing it for me but we could've avoided all of this conflict. He should have just told the bastard to leave then close the door and walk away. I squeezed the bridge of my nose to try and relieve the pain from my headache. The only thing that would get rid of my headches was Colton massaging my head and playing with my hair. Tomorrow at seven couldn't come soon enough.

*****

I opened my eyes to see I had fallen asleep on the couch. I looked over at the clock which read 11:42. Holy shit, I slept for a long time. I walked into my bathroom to freshen up.

When I finally finished my shower, I grabbed my phone and called my brother to ask him to come over with Victoria.

After two hours they finally showed up. This day is going by extemely slow. I just want my boyfriend back.

"Hey you. How are you holding up?" Victoria asked me and sat down next to me, hugging me. "You know I love Colton to death, but sometimes all I can think about is, is this going to work? He stands up for me and I care for him and all the stuff but lately it just has been hectic and I feel trapped. You know how his exes continuously showed up at the door and it is just over whelming." Now Shane sat down next to us.

"Let's talk about something happy. Let's talk about the beginning of last year when we all met." Shane said with a bright goofy smile. "I remember when we met and you and Colton would always bicker and fight and then Shane and would make fun of you guys, playfully." Victoria said and nudged my side with her elbow.

We continued to talk until there was a knock on the door. I swear, I might learn to hate that sound one day. I sighed before walking over to the door and opening it. My breath caught in my throat and I stood motionless.

"Hi. Before you slam the door in our faces, we want to have a friendly conversation with you." I clenched my jaw lightly. "Maybe over lunch or something." I said, my voice full of annoyance and anger. "Please just give us time." The other one said. I walked back inside and told Shane and Victoria that I would be back in an hour or so.

"Let's go to Starbucks. It's close, we can literally walk." I said bored with them and headed in the direction of the Starbucks. The walk there was silent. Good, I didn't want to here them.

When we finally arrived, I quickly found a table and ordered a drink. "Alright you guys have an hour. Now Lexi and Kia, what the hell do you want?" They both looked at each other before looking back at me. Kia started talking.

"I was with Colton before he was with Lexi. He told me that he loved me, that he could see us getting married one day, everything he has probably told you. He strung us along and then ditched us. We are only warning you because we don't want you to end up like us. He caused me to have serious trust issues." She finished and looked down at her hands. That's when end Lexi began. "Then he met me, I am Kias best friend now but at the time I had just met her and didn't know they were going out, so I took a liking to him. He turned us against each other and hurt us both in the end. He led us on and just threw us away like trash. Oh and by the way, I know you guys aren't married."

I massaged my temples. "He might have done that with you guys but he didn't move away to start a new life with you now did he? He didn't go to jail for you did he? He cares for me. I'm sorry about him doing that to you guys but I'm not you so please, just stop coming in contact with Colton and I. You have had a negative effect on our relationship. I really do appreciate you coming forward and talking with me but I am not you guys. So goodbye."

I felt tears stinging my eyes but I blinked it away. Colton wouldn't do that to me, would he?

****

It was seven o'clock and Colton would be arriving home shortly. I paced the floors waiting for him. I know it's only been a day but it's different when you know he is in jail. My mind hasn't left the topic of this afternoons lunch. I really hope I'm not like them.

The front door opened and in came Colton. I walked over to him and threw my arms around his neck in a hug. He responded by wrapping his arms around my waist and carrying me to the couch. "Hey." He said and pecked my cheek. "Hi, are you alright?" I asked him and he nodded. "Then what the hell were you thinking?!" I climbed off of his lap and started pacing again.

"Princess, I was protecting you." I closed my eyes for a minute and leaned my head against his forehead. I grabbed his hand and kissed each of his knuckles.

"Is this going to work?"

He frowned and kissed the corner of my mouth. "Is what going to work?"

"Colton, are we going to work?"