Chapter 25- Tough luck

Colton's POV
Claire walked through my front door and saw that Riley was close to me and she sighed angrily and closed her eyes. "Why the hell is she here?" I looked at her with my eyebrows up. "Why the hell are you here?" Claire looked at me like I was stupid. "I thought we were going to go out."
"Claire, when I kissed you I was drunk it didn't mean anything. I will always love my girl- best friend more than you." I looked at Riley and gave her a soft smile, hoping she didn't realize my slip up. "Well at least you two aren't together anymore." Riley brought her knees to her chest and the placed her head on her knees. I glared at Claire. "Get out of my house now." I stood up and walked over to the door closing it and locking it. Riley lifted her head so only her beautiful eyes were showing. I just want to kiss her. But since we were just "friends" now, I couldn't.
"So uh. How is everything?" I asked her. She looked at me and know what I meant. I felt bad because everything was thrown at her all at once. "Uh I'm doing better. I still haven't gone in my dads room and when I walk around the house I expect to see him doing work or cooking dinner. And I just feel so alone since.... since you and I split up."
I looked at her surprised. "Hasn't Cason been over there?" She shrugged. "The only time he comes over is to check on my ankle and wrap it because he is practicing to be a physical therapist or some crap like that." She looked down at her ankle and lightly pressed it. "He said I should be able to walk on it in two days."
I smiled softly at her as she watched the movie. She looked up at me through her eye lashes. "What?" I shook my head and kissed her cheek quickly. She looked up at me surprised. "We aren't together." She said quickly and I rolled my eyes. "Relax I kissed your cheek not you lips." Even though I wanted it to be her lips. "Yeah I should relax."
During the movie she cuddled into my side and I heard her give a light snore. I lightly chuckled and played with her hair. I kissed her forehead and turned off the tv. I picked her up and carried her to my room. I laid her down and covered her up. She lightly stirred. I walked into the bathroom to change. I opened the door to go downstairs but Riley said something. "What are you doing?" I walked over to her and sat on the edge of the bed and looked at her. "I didn't want you to sleep on the couch so I brought you up here."
"This is your bed." I shook my head and shushed her. "Go to sleep love." I smiled at her and she turned on her side. "Lay with me." I looked at her but she turned around and her eyes lit up in the darkness.
"Riley I don't think-" She placed her finger on my lips and patted the spot next to her. "I'm not asking you to do anything with me only lay with me." I wouldn't mind if she asked me to do things with her. Okay Colton stop thinking that way. "I'm just going to go sleep downstairs." She nodded. "Okay, goodnight pretty boy." I smirked at her. "Night princess." She snuggled into my pillow and closed her eyes. I went downstairs and set up the pull out bed. I signed and fell asleep with Riley on my mind.
When I woke up my head was buried in someone's neck. I lifted my head and saw Riley peacefully sleeping next to me again. I shook my head and kissed her cheek lightly. "It is so hard to be your friend." I said in her ear and she sighed. "Tough luck." My eyes widened and I realized she was awake.
"I Uh, um..." She gave a light laugh and sat up. "Cats got your tongue huh?" I stuck my tongue out at her and she flicked it. Not hard but softly. "What the hell Riley." She gave a light laugh. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. Sorry pretty boy." I sighed and shook my head. "Your going to be the death of me."
"So what are you going to do today?" I asked her and she bit the inside of her cheek. "I might go hang out with Cason for a little bit. I get to meet his girlfriend." I nodded slowly and gave her a small smile. "Well have fun." She smiled then hugged me. "I have to go get ready so I will see you later." She hugged me. I hugged her small waist tight. "Bye princess." I watched her walk off to her house and I sighed. I won't be getting her back anytime soon.
Riley's POV
I combed through my hair making sure I looked alright. When I was finished I heard my doorbell. I ran downstairs and opened the door. There stood a very good looking Cason. RILEY. He has a girlfriend. I told myself. "Hey beautiful." I don't think his girlfriend would agree with him calling me that. "Hey Cason."
He pulled me into a hug. "So what's your girlfriends name?" He looked at me and smiled sheepishly. "I don't actually have a girlfriend, I just said that so I could go and help my mom with some family stuff." I felt my jaw drop. "How do you not have a girlfriend, your hot." I didn't realize I had said that out loud... ahh shit. "Wow beautiful, your very open about things today." I lightly laughed. He pulled me into his side. "Let's go out to lunch today." I nodded excitedly.
"Will Colton be mad about this because I don't want to upset him." I shrugged. "We aren't together and he knows that. I mean of course I still have feelings for him, but I don't think we could be together anymore." Cason looked at me with brightness in his eyes. "So it's okay if I take you on a date and get your phone number?" I laughed at Cason and put my number in his phone. "I don't think that will be a problem." I hope not.
We pulled up to a little diner that was on a hill. "So Riley, how are you?" I shrugged. "I'm not the best but oh well." He frowned. "What's wrong with the beauty?" I told him from the beginning of how everything happened. "Wow. That's rough." Over lunch he told me about how his grandma is sick and how his dad was never present in his life. He grew up in a town in Ohio and he recently moved down here as well.
"Come on. I want to show you something." He grabbed my hand and led me to the other side of the hill where there was no lights and no people and we laid down and looked at the sky. "It's so beautiful." He looked over at me and smiled. "Just like you. So how is your ankle. I realized your still using your crutches." I shrugged. "It's okay I guess. I just want to be off of these crutches."
I sat up and Cason followed my movements. "Thanks for taking care of me and all that stuff." I told him honestly. He kissed my cheek causing me to have a light blush. "Your welcome."
We pulled up to my house and I sat in the car for a minute. "Thanks again for everything." He smiled, got out of the car and walked over to my side to help me out. "I had a really good time with you." He said as we made our way towards my front door. "Me to." We stopped at my front door and he leaned in, then kissed my cheek.
"Bye Riley." I hugged him quickly. "Bye Cason." I watched as he walked to his car. When I stepped inside I collapsed on the couch. I shouldn't think of Cason as more than a friend. He is cute and all but all that's on my mind when I am with him is Colton. God. I don't want this to be complicated.
I heard a knock on my door. I wobbled over to it and opened it to find my brothers. "Hey smalls." Jake said and pulled into a hug. "Hey." Shane said and I smiled at both of them. This is just what I needed. I missed my brothers. "So the other night. After everything happened we saw Cason talking with Claire. He said that their planning to take someone down." I choked on my own spit.
"Cason and Claire? Working together? No way. Shit! I jut told my whole personal life to Cason." My brothers looked at me with wide eyes. "Why the hell were you with Cason?" Shane asked frantically. "He wanted to take me out to lunch, plus he is the one who helped me get out of the party or woods when I sprained my ankle."
"He is a liar and you fell for it smalls." I looked at my brother and sighed.
"I'm stupid. I swear, I wish I could just move to California." Someone walked through the door and it was Colton. He came over to me and tapped my shoulder. "I'm guessing they told you about Cason?" I nodded. "Yup and I'm stupid for letting him in."
Colton stared at me for a second. He opened his mouth to say something but quickly closed it. "What were you going to say?" I asked him. He shook his head. "You told him everything?" I nodded and he sighed.
"Guys can we just forget about this for tonight. I'm tired and I want to just relax." They all nodded silently. I went upstairs to change. I pulled on some sweats and a tank top. I looked at one of Colton's hoodies and sighed. "I miss you Colton." I said quietly. Yeah I know, he is right downstairs but I still miss him.
When I walked downstairs Shane, Jake, and Colton were sitting in the kitchen talking. I leaned against the wall so I could hear.
"Colton I think it's time to let her go." Shane said and I heard Colton give a dry chuckle. "I'm not letting the only girl I have ever loved get away from me, and if that means just being friends for a couple of months or maybe even a year, I will wait because I could possibly get her back." I heard Jake start talking.
"Your a good guy who made a fucked up decision. Your lucky she even let you become friends with her that fast. So don't screw up again. Also what are you going to do about prom? Aren't you supposed to go with her." I completely forgot about prom. "I will still go but she probably won't go with me."
I stood up and wobbled into the kitchen as if I hadn't heard anything. They all stopped talking when they saw me. "So what are you guys talking about?" I asked while I poured a glass of orange juice. Colton muttered under his breath. "The fact I still love you." I smiled at him since his back was facing me. I silently crept up behind him and hugged him. He untangled my arms from around him and stood up. "Could you two give your sister and me a minute." They nodded and ran upstairs.
"Riley, do understand how fucking hard it is to be your friend? Because it's hard as fuck. I can't kiss you like I used to, I can't call you mine, I choose not to sleep in the same bed with you because I wouldn't get the urge to kiss you and hold you." I looked at him and his eyes held so much emotion, it was crazy.
"Colton I'm sorry. What else do you want me to say. You can't just expect me to come crawling back to you. That's not fair to me." He ran a hand through his hair making it messy. "I understand that and I don't expect you to. Im just saying that if you keep doing the little things that your doing I will not control it and probably end up kissing you."
I sighed. "Colton, I love you. I really do but its best if we are friends. I don't want to let you go." I looked down at the floor. He tilted my chin up so I was looking at him. "Hey it's okay, if we are friends, or even more than friends, what ever it maybe. You won't and can't lose me." He said softly. I nodded and he pulled me into a hug. I buried my head in his neck and he grabbed my knees and carried me bridal style. I cuddled closer to him and he sat down in the living room. I was now in his lap. Shane and Jake walked out.
"Mare you two back together." I looked at Colton and he answered. "No just-" I placed my lips on his. He instantly responded. There is no way I can only be friends with him. I love him to damn much and I was being a stubborn ass. "I take that as a yes so we are going to leave you to." Colton gave them a thumbs up and they left chuckling. Colton stood up and carried me upstairs. He closed the bedroom door with his foot and leaned us against my bed.
He kissed my lips hungrily. His lips moved down to my neck. "Colton." I lifted his shirt over his head and he did the same to me before dropping his lips back to mine. My heart pounded in my chest. I ran my hands over his bare chest and he undid my bra. I wanted to feel his body pressed against mine so I pulled myself closer to him.
I laid my head on his chest and he pulled the blanket over us. I listened to the sound of his heart beat and closed my eyes. "I'm sorry Colton."
"For what?" I wrapped my arm around his waist and snuggled into his chest. "For being a bitch about things." He shushed me. "No don't apologize, I made a bad mistake, but luckily you believe in second chances." I looked up at him and kissed his lips softly but let my lips linger there for a second.
When I pulled away I laid my head back down on his chest. "So are you still going to prom with me?" I let out a little laugh. "No shit Sherlock." I heard my door knob being turned and in came Cason. "Riley are you... why is he here, naked?" I looked at Cason and glared. "Your the one working with Claire to take me down or some shit. Go ahead tell the school my life story. I am moving to California with my boyfriend in like two months so bye." Cason opened his mouth to say something but flipped us off instead then stormed out of my house.
I sighed and Colton tightened his grip on me. I traced little circles on his chest. You know it's amazing how in love you can be with someone. "Ugh I have to go to a wedding with my mom later tonight. You should come." I shrugged my shoulders. "Okay, who's wedding is it?" He smiled. "Remember my cousin Hayden from Christmas?" I nodded. "Well he is the one getting married." I smiled brightly. This will be fun. "I can't wait."
*Getting Ready For The Wedding*
I pulled on my tan strapless dress with some white ballet flats. When I finished that I curled my hair. Colton looked amazing in his tux since he was the best man. I smiled at him as he ran a comb through his hair. His phone started ringing. "Hey Hayden." He was silent. "I can ask her really quick."
He looked at me and smiled. "Want to be a maid of honor, her maid of honor is sick and she needs one." I nodded my head. "Okay she said yes. We will leave now." He pecked my lips and we headed out to the car. "Bye mom and dad we will see you there." I bucked my belt and we headed to the wedding.
"Don't worry you will love her and I'm pretty sure she will love you." I smiled and Colton held my hand. When we pulled up a woman came up to me. "Are you Riley?" I nodded. "Okay come this way quick. We need to get you ready." I blew a kiss to Colton who was now talking with Hayden. "So you will be walking down the aisle with Colton. Aren't you two together?" I nodded and smiled. "We are." She smiled and pulled me into a room. "Hey Ashley." So Ashely is his cousin in law okay that makes more sense. "Hey Riley, it's so good to see you. I haven't seen you since Christmas." I hugged her and looked over her dress. "You look beautiful." She smiled. "You look beautiful to but let's get you ready to be my maid of honor."
They redid my hair and didn't add make up. I asked why and they told me Colton had requested me not to wear make up. "You guys are to cute. I can't wait till you guys have your wedding." Ashley told me and helped me into some heels, fuck the crutches my ankle feels fine now. "How do I walk in these?" She laughed and held her arm out. "Well you and Colton will be walking like this so you can use him to balance." I nodded. "Okay then."
"So how long have you and Hayden been together?" I asked her and she smiled even brighter. "Since we were sixteen, so that's seven years." I liked listening about her life. She was such a happy person. The same lady that brought me here told us that it was time to.
The flower girl went out first. Then the ring bearer boy. Then it was mine an Colton's turn. We walked out and I grabbed his arm for balance and we walked down the aisle then parting ways. The same thing with the rest of the bridesmaids and then finally Ashley.
Everyone stood and waited. She looked beautiful. The sun was shining down on her and she just sparkled. Maybe I will be in her place and Colton will be in Hayden's place in a couple of years.
When she finally made it down they began. Colton focused on me the whole time when they were saying their vows. Finally they said their I do's and we all gathered inside for the dinner and the dancing. Colton walked over to me and I held onto his arm for balance. "That's going to be you and I one day." He whispered in my ear and I smiled to myself. I love him so damn much. "Do you really think so?" He kissed my nose and we sat down at a table. "I wouldn't lie to you."
The waiters came out and started serving food. "This looks yummy." I said and Colton smirked. "So do you." I lightly smacked his arm and Ashely lightly laughed at us. "You two are so cute!" She squealed and leaned into Hayden. I felt a blush rise on my cheeks and I started eating. When we were finished eating mine and Colton's song started playing. He smirked and pulled me onto the dance floor... which was empty. We started dancing like goofballs and people started laughing and clapping. Hayden and Ashley joined us. "We are such idiots." Hayden said and we walked off the dance floor laughing. "Riley, you will fit in with the family perfectly." For the first time in weeks I was happy, not an ounce o sadness.